Organisation name: iProbono
Position: Regional Legal Analyst, India
Term: 2 years (full time – flexible for the right candidate)
Start date: ASAP
Location: South India (working closely with the Sri Lanka team)
Stipend: up to USD $10,000 per year (payable on a monthly basis)
Deadline for applications: Friday 27 July
Job Description: Click here
iProbono gives a voice to vulnerable and marginalised populations and enables access to justice for the most vulnerable members of our society – enabling them to participate in society and access basic services.
Our vision is a just society that understands and values the voices of all, especially those on the margins. Our mission is to protect the most vulnerable and to secure equal access to justice and opportunity for all, not just those who can afford it.
We work towards social change in three ways:
- We strengthen the hand of civil society organisations advocating with and for the vulnerable and the marginalised through holistic legal support
- We represent the poor and the vulnerable, in upholding their basic rights and expanding the ever-narrowing route to justice and equality of opportunity in the UK today.
- We promote active citizenship and public support for the poor and disenfranchised by bridging the gap between community organisations and the private sector to highlight injustice, protect civil liberties, entrench human rights and end discrimination.
We have been operating since 2009, with a head office in London and busy litigation hub in New Delhi. We have completed over 770 projects, representing a value of over $8million for civil society organisations. The projects that we have connected are diverse, ranging from representing child survivors of abuse and strategic
litigation, to transactional legal assistance and rights-based training. Our aim is to ensure that the justice system works for the poor, promotes sustainable development and protects the natural environment.
iProbono’s global outreach enables organisations to source assistance across jurisdictions and as the most significant pro bono organisation in India our aim is to strengthen our presence in South Asia. More details on our work can be found on our homepage and news section.
We are looking for a Regional Legal Analyst in South India to work closely with us on our South Asia program to secure equal access to justice across the region. The role entails working with our Delhi office and our South Asia Regional Director to amplify our work in South India.
Our overall purpose is to secure equal access to justice for the poor, marginalised and disadvantaged communities in five countries across South Asia (India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Myanmar) through strengthening civil society in each country and championing a regional approach towards human rights advocacy and strategic litigation.
By joining resources at a regional level, sharing information, benchmarking best practice and precedent on a systematic and regular basis, we believe that human rights and equitable justice can be strengthened throughout South Asia.
The successful candidate for the role will be a lawyer with local legal experience, this can be in litigation or within the non-profit sector, with a keen interest or expertise in advancing human rights both at home and on a regional level. S/he should be able to identify strategic casework and able, with our support, to empower broad networks of influence on a national level.
During their 2-year tenure, the regional consultant will be embedded within a local CSO that is well-networked, mandated to act for women and children or migrants and will divide their time between developing iProbono’s presence in South India and building the legal capacity of their host organisation.
S/he will assist the CSO with compliance challenges, whether in relation to structure, finance or reporting regulations. S/he will be based in their offices and be regarded as a key part of their operations.
In year 1, the legal consultant will provide transactional legal advice to build the capacity of the CSO. He/she will also engage with other CSOs and regional organisations providing legal expertise and models of best practice as suited to their needs. S/he will also support and receive support from iProbono’s wider India and South Asia team to develop a platform for human rights activists, defenders, lawyers and supporters to come together, to engage, cooperate with and learn from one another at a regional level.
In year 2, the regional legal consultant will assist the CSO with litigation, policy-making and legal research with an eye to identifying strategic casework and pursuing opportunities for strategic litigation and resulting legal reform. S/he will also engage strongly with other CSOs, regional organisations, providing legal expertise and models of best practice as suited to their needs.
Skills and Experience
- A bachelors or Masters degree in law
- 4+ years experience in legal practice including pro bono projects
- Experience of working in the non-profit sector or similar experience in civil society organisations
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and one local language
- Strong knowledge of the law and local pathways to justice
- Ability to build and maintain good relations with civil society, the legal community and other iProbono legal consultants and team members in South Asia
- Highly organized as well as a strategic thinker and a results-driven team member
- High level of proficiency with MS Office, database management and internet skills
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a small team
- Comfortable with regional travel where required
To apply, please email [email protected] with your CV (no more than 2 pages) and a short cover letter on why you are suitable for the role. First round interviews will take place on Skype, followed by a short written test. Final round interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place in August 2018.