The Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks a.k.a the Indian Patent Office invites applications for an IPR internship program from eligible students.
About the Indian Patent Office
The Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks generally known as the Indian Patent Office, is an agency under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade that administers the Indian law of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks.
About the Internship Opportunity
The Union Cabinet approved the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy on May 12, 2016, that lays the future roadmap for IPRs in India. The Policy recognizes the abundance of creative and innovative energies that flow in India, and the need to tap into and channelize these energies towards a better and brighter future for all.
This internship program aims to work towards the fulfilment of the following objectives of the National IPR Policy 2016:
- Objective 1: IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion – To create public awareness about the economic, social and cultural benefits of IPRs among all sections of society.
- Objective 2: Generation of IPRs – To stimulate the generation of IPRs
- Objective 7: Human Capital Development – To strengthen and expand human resources, institutions and capacities for teaching, training, research and skill building in IPRs
Responsibility of the Intern
Interns will be given assignments on the emerging issues in patents and will be required to submit a research paper at the end of the internship program.
Duration of Internship
The duration of the internship shall be as per the requirement of the course curriculum.
- The applicant should:
- be a citizen of India; and
- is pursuing or has completed:
- post-graduation/doctoral studies in science, or
- graduation/post-graduation/doctoral studies in engineering or technology
- graduation/post-graduation/doctoral studies in law, from any University established under law for the time being in force in the territory of India.
- In case of candidates pursuing graduation/post-graduation/doctoral studies, internship should be a requirement specified under their course curriculum.
- The graduation/post-graduation/doctoral studies shall be from a government recognized institute.
- The application for internship shall be accompanied by a recommendation from the Head of Institution.
Stipend (If Any)
No honorarium of any sort shall be paid to the intern.
Upon successful completion of the internship, a certificate shall be issued by the Head of Office where the intern has interned.
How to Apply?
- Applicants are requested to submit their CV and a cover letter containing a brief synopsis of the proposed topic of study during the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internships shall be filled by way of a selection process as adopted by office of CGPDTM.
- Selected interns will have to provide a certified copy of their certificates. Interns shall not be treated as staff members.
Place of Internship
Place of internship can be at the IP Office Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and RGNIIPM, Nagpur
Disclaimer: Internship experiences are opinions shared by individual law students and tend to be personal and subjective in nature. The internship experiences shared on Lawctopus are NOT Lawctopus' official views on the internship.