Your Name, College, Year of Study, Email ID
Name of Organisation, Location city, Team Strength
Punjab State Human rights Comission (PSHRC) (Chandigarh). Team Strength – Separate teams, therefore strength unknown. However, we were a batch of 20+ interns and we were told previous batches there were many more.
E-mail: [email protected]
After you receive their reply there are 2 tasks
1. To write a statement of purpose in the specified number of words along with the form
2. Submit no objection certificate by your respective College/University
Duration of internship and timings
29th December, 2014 to 29th January, 2015
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
First day orientation session regarding the functioning of the commission.
A quick but detailed reading of The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993. We were tested upon the same and we were explained some important points.
We were divided into teams in the first few days and were made to do the following:
• We Segregated the complaints received by the commission into cognizable, non-cognizable and repeated complaints and then filled relevant forms for them.
• Made Case summary for respective cases, supporting reasons for taking cognizance or not
• Studied important landmark cases decided by the commission and were made to summarize the same.
• Read newspapers for suo moto cognizance which could be taken by the commission on account of violation of cases.
Lastly, we had to choose a topic and submit a report individually or in a group which had to be made based on a survey conducted specifically in Punjab.
Since Chandigarh does not fall under the jurisdiction of the commission and it was quite difficult to travel to Mohali to survey people. So on the bases of the complaints received by the commission we made a report utilizing the data of the commission and putting it to good use.
Sir was quite impressed and wanted to publish it as well. 🙂
Work environment and people
We had a deadline to meet failing which we were made to either stay late or come early the next day.
Thankfully our team met all deadlines.
Sir was strict when it came to work and fun and informative at the same time. It wasn’t too strict but however sincerity in work was important at the same time.
We had a lot of Group discussions, debates and extempore which were alot of fun and made the environment light ( and heated during rebuttals)
Seeing complaints being taken seriously.
I regret not taking a survey for my report. I feel I could have addressed to a better issue with all that hard work put in!
Government offices do work seriously and are not all that laid back.
If run by people like Rohit Chatrath who take charge.
Human Rights does help people who are oppressed by the police.