India Labourline is inviting applications from eligible law students for a 2-month internship.
About India Labourline
India Labourline is a pro-bono helpline for workers that helps them with issues of their livelihood through legal aid and mediation.
It started operating in July 2021, as a direct response to the dire situation faced by the lakhs of workers in the year of abrupt Covid lockdowns, to give support to informal migrant and local workers.
India Labourline, headquartered in Mumbai, receives calls from workers throughout the country, working as labourers, drivers, in factories, security guards, home-based workers, etc.
The tele counsellors are trained to provide the first level of counseling/intervention over the phone to workers and guide them through various subsequent steps to resolve their issues of wage theft, bondage, physical and verbal abuse, and non-payment of compensation following accidents in hazardous workplaces.
About the Internship
As interns at India Labourline, your work will give you direct exposure to issues faced by the informal sector workers in India.
It will help you develop a keen understanding of various stakeholders at play in ensuring the implementation and protection of the fundamental and labour rights of some of the most vulnerable classes of people in India. You will have a hands-on experience of Labour laws and their use in a practical real-world setting.
You will also be providing legal inputs to the tele-counsellors who advise the workers in the first instance. Selected applicants will be expected to maintain the highest ethical standards and help us progress to better serve the needs of the workers in need of our assistance.
They are looking for interns who will participate in:
- Research work and writing: Carry out research on various labour laws and precedents on specific issues. Help draft simplified legal literacy material of various labour laws for training and outreach.
- Fieldwork: Accompany the field team during outreach and legal- aid work.
- Duration: Internship will be for a period of 2 months.
- Location and mode: Mumbai. You will be expected to work in a hybrid model. You will need to be in the office at Worli, Mumbai or in the field for part of the time. Part of the work may be done from home.
- Reporting and assignment of work: You will be reporting to the Program Officer, Legal, who will assign you work on a daily or weekly basis, as needed. There will be frequent discussions and feedback sessions to help assess your work and progress further.
- They are looking for students who have already studied Labour laws in the course of their law programs.
- Students from the 4th, and 5th year enrolled in recognised 5-year law programs; Students from the 2nd and 3rd year enrolled in recognised 3-year law programs, and students from recognised LL.M. programs at any Indian university.
How to Apply?
- They will accept applications for this round until 30 June 2022.
- To apply, please email as an attachment your CV along with a brief cover letter (300 words) explaining why you are interested in this internship. Please also indicate in the cover letter that you have finished studying labour laws in the course of your law program.
- Ensure to send your CV and covering letter merged into a single PDF file as an attachment to the email with the subject line: Application for internship.
- Email your applications to: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the application, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org