Name of the Student, College
Rudraksh Singh Bhati, Law Faculty JNVU
Organisation and Address
National Human Rights Commission, GPO Complex, Manav Adhikar Bhawan, C Block, INA, New Delhi, Delhi 110023
I sent my application along with my CV through mail with a proper cover letter. Seeking Internship for the month of October 2019. I joined the office on the 16th of October 2019.
Number of Interns
In the short term programme, we were around 25 interns from pan India. The Interns came from several states like Rajasthan, Andra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Maharashtra etc, marked the true essence of nations diversity.
First Day, First Impression
- The Interns were supposed to report at 10 AM at the Manav Adhikar Bhawan.
- All of us were asked to fill a form and mark our attendance. After which;
- We were given a briefing regarding the structure and functioning of the commission by Justice PC Pant Sir. A copy of the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993 along with news booklets was handed over to all the interns.
- The members of the commission are dedicated, diligent and impeccable in their work, and guide the interns along the with addressing all their doubts.
- The work environment is warm and the staff is cooperative.
- Though punctuality is expected by the interns.
- The prima- facie task in the Short Term Internship Programme isn’t much. Experts from various fields of Human Rights, both Governmental and Non-Governmental take lectures.
- Interns are divided into smaller fractions after which they are allotted a topic to draft a research paper.
- In the due course of the internship, we are taught about the process of filing a complaint to the text messages received by the aggrieved party, to scrutinizing of complaints and their entire mechanism.
- Interns also have access to the library in the commission. The library is well maintained and one can find a wide variety of books and enjoy the picturesque view from the top floor.
- A unique touch was added to the internship when we had Secretaries and Joint Secretaries from Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Sports, Ministry of Labour and Employment asking with the DG of CISF and activist like Ms. Gopalan for the LGBTQI to widen our horizon of the government’s functionaries and explain the same in-depth.
- We had visited the Nation Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) that’s adjacent to NHRC. A day before the completion the Interns were taken to Mandoli Jail Complex in East Delhi for a visit. Though you won’t be much excited as we are supposed to file an individual report for both the visits.
You either watch the American series ‘Designated Survivor’ or make a place in NHRC is either the same. Prior to becoming a part of the NHRC, “Justice isn’t meant for the poor” was a strong notion. True was it till the time, the grievance redressal charges were Rs.0
The duration of the internship can comply as a boutique of experience ranging from the spectating proceeding of the NCDRC, Jail Visits, discussion on ‘Spot Investigation’ or meetings with the top rank officers too long spans of researching.
The pollution post-Diwali. Experienced the real-life Home Alone on Diwali.
Place of Accommodation
Since I had my friend staying in New Delhi accommodation wasn’t as issue. I was put up at his place in North Campus from where the metro station (Vishwa Vidyalaya) is a good walk. Though there are a couple of PG’s available in the vicinity like South EX, INA, Lajpat Nagar.
The weekend was generally spent participating in debate competition and MUN’s in Delhi and on a course of a regular day after working hours I used to generally catch-up with friends over a coffee in CP that’s was on my way back from the office.
At times I too used to visit the Constitution Club of Indian. For those who haven’t been to Delhi previously or aren’t that well acquainted often places India Gate, Lotus Temple, Red Fort (Lal Quila), Jama Masjid, Lodhi Garden, isn’t far from the office.
Disclaimer: Internship experiences are opinions shared by individual law students and tend to be personal and subjective in nature. The internship experiences shared on Lawctopus are NOT Lawctopus' official views on the internship.