Full Name of the Organisation, City and State
Center for Youth & Social Development, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
About the Organisation
CYSD is an NGO established in 1982 being a mother NGO of the state it is leading in all sorts of societal activities, campaigns, research & advocacy. The organisation brings about the perceptive of accountability & transparency in the state’s governance mechanism engaging the community and the government functionaries together.
Student Name, College and Year of Study
Priyanka Jena, SOA National Institute of Law, 1st Year
19th June 2019 to 20th July 2019
In order to get a chance for the commencement of internship one can go through the organisation’s website i.e. www.cysd.org. where you can apply by completely filling up the given application form and attaching the CV for the scrutinization, before 3 weeks.
For the final selection, there will be a telephonic interview/ person interview or a group discussion & you may be asked for giving a write-up in 500 words on a given topic. The selection result will be communicated via mail within 3-4 days. Then there you will be allotted to the desired post mentioned by you.
First Day Formalities Initial Impressions
Interns were supposed to reach the office at 10:00 A.M and were allowed to leave the office by 5:30 P.M. My summer internship was for 4 weeks, the office is opened 6 days a week. (mon-sat)
On the first day, I was asked to report to the HR department of the organisation for the submission of the mentioned documents & for the enrollment as an intern for the tenure of 1 month. I received an Offer Letter which contained certain instructions to be followed.
As I was allotted to the Research department to assist the senior researcher of the organisation, I went to the research Cell where I was allotted with my desk and a computer system to work with. I meet my guide and other 2 co-intern, we had a friendly conversation for proper coordination.
The office was well equipped with systems and many employees and different departments working in different intervention, all the employees were very welcoming and have a great working environment which boosts up my confidence to work with more enthusiasm.
On the first day, I was provided with my framework on my research topics to assist my guide.
The task was to research various topics by accessing the raw data of the field surveys, monitoring the ongoing projects.
My research was on the CSR provision of the private & public sectors, there implementation in the state by referring company laws and on green climate funding. Environmental Law and government disaster management. Preparing the survey reports done by the organisation.
- It was my first time to work as a research intern in a well-established NGO which works with many national and international forums for the betterment of society, having a great office environment with all kind of facilities.
- The library of the organisation was a great source for my research. The cafeteria is the place to be considered for the refreshment.
- Apart from the hectic schedule, I enjoyed the tea break with my co-intern which gave me Chance to socialize in between.
- The organisation can be said to be the best practical knowledge acquiring as it conducts lots of seminars and programmes, it also gives the intern to witness those events. During my tenure, I witnessed the panel discussion on Odisha budget 2019-2020 conducted by the OBAC (Odisha budget accountability centre ) which is a part of CYSD, made me go through the budgeting strategy of my state.
- The hospitality of the organisation was best.
nothing seems to be bad here. one should utilities every day of the internship to acquire every possible knowledge, go deep in research.
It is in my home town, so no accommodation was needed. But one can have a PG for a month with reasonable facilities and can rely on the organisation’s cafeteria.
At first, it was kind of hectic to work with lots of raw data to have a presentable report, but soon when my research was more deep, as I started to get into more, indulge more in the topic, I enjoyed my work.
This is probably the best summer with some new knowledge and fun!!!