Your Name, College, Year of Study
Ayan Chakraborty, M.S.Ramaiah College of Law, 4th Year
Name of Organisation, Location (city). Team Strength
Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd., Zonal Office, Eastern Zone, Kolkata. The legal department here comprised only of the zonal legal head of the Eastern Zone however, the Director & Vice President of the company kept on visiting the office.
I applied through a personal contact.
Duration of internship and timings
It was a four weeks internship starting from 7th July, 2014 to 2nd August, 2014. Working Days: Monday to Saturday. Timings: Usually 9 am to 5 pm. But I stayed back in office along with my mentor till 7pm on certain occassions.
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd., Zonal Office, Eastern Zone is situated on the 8th Floor of Infinity Building, Salt Lake, Sector-V. A big, well furnished & Air-Conditioned office.
This was my first corporate internship and the feel of working under the Legal department of an MNC was awsome. The first day formalities included three rounds of interactive sessions with my Mentor and the HR Department respectively.
I was given a brief idea about the kind of assignments that I will be assigned and was also alerted that, “you will be always kept under the trigger, as far as the works to be assigned is concerned“.
I started working from the very first day but left office early.
The main tasks that were assigned to me and the ones that I was involved in, included the following:
1. Preparing a handbook on Labour Law Judgments. (There was no time limit given for this but I was asked to complete it by the end of my internship);
2. Preparing case notes and briefing my mentor with regards to various pending cases of the Company;
3. Preparing points of arguments on the cases that have been listed for hearing soon,
4. Preparing Written Statement of Consumer Cases;
5. Research on Labour Law, Consumer Protection Act, IPC Section 272 & 273, Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, Food Safety & Standards Act.
Work environment and people
As expected a serious environment prevailed most of the times. Everyone with whom I came across in the Office and the ones I interacted with were very friendly including the Security Personnels and the Pantry Guy.
My mentor Mr. Ranjan Kumar is a really jovial and helpful person. I was never turned back whenever I failed to understand anything or needed any help. He used to pause his work and help me out before resuming back to his work again.
It is worth mentioning in this context that I was the first legal intern at this Zonal Office and my mentor made sure that I had no problems and that I was able to do my work diligently and perfectly.
There have been instances when my mentor have asked me to change a major chunk of the work done by me but he never failed to appreciate the good stuffs in it. I have also often engaged in discussions about my career with him.
1. When you are working in a Company like Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd., the best thing has to be the unlimited supply of their products while you are in office;
2. The coffee being prepared by Sujoy Da (the Pantry Guy)- he just needs to be informed that you need a cup of coffee and it will there right on your table within minutes;
3. The Lunch hour, when all the associates sit together and engage themselves into various discussions (Lunch is provided daily)
1. One should always have a control over what one is speaking. One should be silent and humble enough to accept his ignorance with regards to a particular thing if he isn’t sure about it rather than blabbering something he is unsure of.
2. Perfection. I remember an instance when my mentor did not think twice before rebuking an associate in front of me because of his omissions while preparing a report. The very same day my mentor also praised me in front of the same associate for my research and observations in a case while discussing the same.