Name Of The Intern, Year Of Study, College
Nidhisha Garg, National Law Institute University (4th Year)
Name Of The Organization Where You Interned And Its Full Address
Abhiraj Krishna Associates
101, Mahinder Chambers, Waman Tukaram Patil Marg, opp. Dukes Factory, Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400071
Duration Of Internship
May 11, 2021 – June 05, 2020
How Did You Apply?
I applied by writing them a mail along with my updated resume and a cover letter on the id email@example.com. If shortlisted, you will have an interview with them, post which your internship will be confirmed.
First Day Formalities, Infrastructure, First Impression
On the first day, you introduce yourselves to the entire team, tell them a little about your previous internship experiences and the kind of work you have done in the past. You will also have to tell them the kind of work and opportunities you are looking for during this internship, so they can assign work to you accordingly.
My first impression of the team was that it would be real fun working with them.
The major tasks assigned to me included:
- Drafting of Shareholders’ Agreement
- Drafting of Agreement for Assignment of Copyright
- Reviewing of Contracts like Non-Disclosure Agreements, Cash Collection Agreements etc.
- Assisting clients in registering their trademarks, trusts and societies
- Research on MSMEs, NBFCs, labour laws
Even though it was a virtual internship, the work environment was so wholesome that it didn’t feel like that at all. Every morning, the entire team gets together on a call to discuss the updates on ongoing matters and interns are allotted work. You can also volunteer for a particular assignment if you are interested in it. They appreciate that.
The work timings are usually from 10 to 6:30. It may extend beyond that, however, that rarely ever happens. The workload will be very reasonable and nothing that a 3rd year law student cannot handle.
After every assignment, you are given a detailed feedback by the Senior Associate which serves as a great learning curve. You will have to give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Exposure to quality drafting work at an early stage in law school
- Quality research propositions, reviewing of agreements etc.
- Work related to a gamut of laws like Companies Act, 2013, securities laws, banking laws, intellectual property laws, tax laws, laws governing trusts and societies etc.
- Get to be a part of all meetings and internal discussions of the firm, thus giving you an exposure which you would seldom get in a top-tier firm.
- Get to work closely with all the associates, therefore, a great opportunity to familiarise yourself with how your life as an Associate would look like.
- Detailed feedback given by the Senior Associate for every assignment and for your overall performance by the Managing Partner at the end of the internship.
- If time permits, Abhiraj Sir will also take a session with you in which he will explain in detail the basics of corporate law, how companies function, what our role as legal counsels to them entails etc.
- Opportunity to write blogs with the associates
- Very accommodative of interns’ concerns and requests like request for a leave due to any medical or other valid reason.
Mind you, these are just some of the many good things that I observed about this internship.
Stipend (If any)
A decent stipend of Rs. 3500 (for the standards of online internship) was provided at the end of the internship.
Accommodation, Commuting To Office
As this was an online internship, I didn’t have to commute to the office. However, their office is situated in the heart of the Chembur and can be easily reached by getting taking an auto after getting down at the Govandi Railway Station on the Harbour Line in Mumbai.
I didn’t have to look for accommodation as it was an online internship. An affordable option in the area will be the Tata PG Hostel.
The Unique Selling Point of this firm is that it consists of only 5 lawyers, whereas their clients include a plethora of companies engaged in fintech, e-commerce etc. As the firm size is small, interns play an integral role in drafting of agreements, revieing of documents etc. The firm also has a blog of its own and interns are encouraged to write on current topics of relevance to the firm for the same. You can also request Abhiraj Sir and co-author a blog or paper with him. Co-authorship with the Managing Partner of a firm will really increase the chances of your blog getting published in a reputed journal. Law students in their 2nd and 3rd years, who are serious about making a career in corporate law should positively consider interning in Abhiraj Krishna Associates.
If you wish to share an internship experience, fill the form here.
Disclaimer: We do not edit the internship experience submitted to maintain the originality of the intern’s experience.
Disclaimer: Internship experiences are opinions shared by individual law students and tend to be personal and subjective in nature. The internship experiences shared on Lawctopus are NOT Lawctopus' official views on the internship.