First published on September 15, 2015.
This is to inform you of the upcoming academic conference at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras.
The Academic Conference 2016 is focused on the theme “Grappling with the Sacred”.
The conference will be held at the IIT Madras from 22nd January, 2016 to 24th January 2016 with an Inaugural lecture on the evening of 21st January.
The concept note elaborates the themes we hope to explore during the conference.
We welcome papers that focus on (but are not limited to) the following:
- Practice of the sacred
- Divine ecology
- Architecture, sacred spaces and structures of spirituality
- Religious fundamentalism and the breeding of the sacrosanct in daily life
- Consumption and transmission of sacredness through New Media
- Acts, rituals and other paraphernalia the performance of a religion
- Sacred Texts and Language
- The historical sacredness of Canonical Texts
- Locating Spirituality in the Social Sciences
- Language and Identity
- Language of mind
- Sacred Institutions
- Religion and legal pluralism
- The aesthetics of informality in aiding religious and spiritual organization at the grass root level
- Market, State and monetary authority
- The Sacred Economy and Economics of the Sacred
- Economics of religious institutions
- Sacred Approaches: Sustainable development, Liberalization, Privatization and Globalization
- Sacrality as alternate ethics: Islamic Economics, Rogue Economics
- Economics and Ethics
- Sacred Body
- The maternal body
- The inviolable body
- Ideas of the beautiful body
- Discourses of the Sacred
- Broadcasting the sacred
- Branding the Sacred
- Contesting sacrality
- Philosophies of the Sacred
- The Sacred and the Secular
- The Sacred: The Ideal and the Social
- The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
- Mythical and Modern Ways of Understanding the World
- Disenchantment and the Emergence of Modern Consciousness
Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be submitted by October 25, 2015.
All abstracts will be blind reviewed and authors will be notified of the reviewers’ decision within two weeks of submission.
Please note, this call for papers and poster presentations is open to graduate and doctoral students.
Those who submit near the October 25 deadline will receive confirmation of acceptance or rejection by November 1, 2015.
Please note that full papers and posters are expected to be submitted by December 22, 2015.
Selected participants will be provided free accommodation and travel subject to submission of full papers/posters.
All further information can be found on our website and facebook page.
The participants may mail their entries and queries to [email protected].