IDIA is a pan-India movement to train underprivileged students and help transform them into leading lawyers and community advocates. IDIA is premised on the notion that access to premier legal education empowers marginalized communities and helps them help themselves.
Call for Application
This is a call for applications to be part of the Training & Materials Vertical of the Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) Project.
The IDIA Project was initiated by Prof. (Dr.) Shamnad Basheer to reach out to the marginalized and under-represented groups, sensitize them to the law as a viable career option and help interested students acquire admission in law schools, which are otherwise increasingly elitist spaces. The hope is that increasing access to legal education would contribute immensely to the empowerment of the marginalized and underprivileged students and the communities they represent.
To know more about the project, please visit the IDIA website here.
The Training and Materials Vertical (T&M Team) of IDIA is responsible for preparation of training-material for the trainees to practice with. The Team is inviting applications for the different projects it will be undertaking this year. As you may know, the T&M Vertical is undergoing rapid expansion via its online platform and in furtherance of this endeavour, IDIA requires volunteers for the following projects:
Reading and Learning Material
Building on the existing material, IDIA aims to create extensive material that the trainees can utilise to learn concepts. This will include creating short explanations in very simple language on the various legal, mathematical, English, logical and static general knowledge questions that frequent the law entrance exams.
The subject matter that you will be covering will be per your choosing. The explanations can be in the nature of documents, video training, voice notes, or games.
This project shall also enable you to implement unique learning methods in your material to help make the process both fun and informative.
Since this is their latest undertaking, priority will be given to applicants who apply under this wing. If you have a sound grasp of subject areas tested through law entrance examinations and wish to disseminate this knowledge country-wide then please do apply!
IDIA has prepared a repository of mock tests on the online platform. The work would entail:
- Creating mock tests calibrated to different difficulty levels.
- Proof-reading questions and answer keys in pre-existing Mock Tests.
- Administering tests and analysing test results so as to give detailed, individualised feedback to test-takers.
Last year, all the trainees attempted these mock tests and greatly benefited from regular feedback on their performance. In addition to designing questions, you will have an opportunity to extensively engage with Moodle, code tests, and conduct data analysis using MS Excel. Once again, prior knowledge of these tools is NOT a pre-requisite.
This project will involve creating weekly and monthly practice tests on the various subjects covered by the law entrance exams. Each test will contain around 20-30 questions with explanatory answers. These tests greatly help the regional teams teach their trainees and track their progress.
This project entails the preparation of weekly quizzes on current affairs. If you are interested in regular engagement with the happenings across the world, then this work shall interest you greatly. Please note, applicants under this wing will also have to apply to one of the previously mentioned projects since this work is infrequent and requires very little time.
The minimum qualifications for this post are the following:
- The T&M Vertical must be the first priority for you. You should be able to spare at least 5-6 hours a week for this work.
- It is essential that you believe in and be committed to IDIA’s cause.
- Good communication skills along with leadership qualities are also a must.
The biggest incentive in working as part of IDIA is, of course, the satisfaction of having made a great contribution towards a great cause. However, if the promise of a social revolution and transforming someone’s life is not good enough for you, some material incentives which you could consider are:
- IDIA’s various supporters and donors (including some of the leading law firms) have agreed to grant internship opportunities to best performing IDIA volunteers. In the past, IDIA has nominated its best-performing volunteers for internships at top law firms such as JSA, Trilegal, Luthra and Luthra, AZB etc. as well as companies like GE, Microsoft, Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis etc.
- An exceptional IDIA team leader/deputy team leader could be nominated for a series of awards including a fellowship instituted by a leading lawyer (IDIA: Sagar Fellowships) that pays a good sum each month.
- A certificate highlighting your contribution to IDIA and providing an assessment of your work.
The application form is here.
Those interested in applying may fill in the application form by 11:59 P.M. on Sunday, 15th September 2019. Applicants having past experience with similar projects are encouraged to apply, although that is not a strict requirement for selection.
Members of regional teams are also encouraged to apply. Based on your expression of interest via the Google form you will be asked to complete a small task in due course.