Established in 2004, the Arthur C. Helton Fellowship Program recognizes the legacy of Arthur Helton, a prominent human rights advocate and ASIL member. Helton died in the August 19, 2003 bombing of the UN mission in Baghdad.
Funded by contributions from ASIL members, interest groups, and private foundations, Helton Fellowships provide financial assistance in the form of “micro-grants” of 2000$ for law students and young professionals to pursue fieldwork and research on significant issues involving international law, human rights, humanitarian affairs, and related areas.
- The Helton Fellowship Program seeks applicants in the early stages of their academic and professional careers who demonstrate the potential to make significant contributions to the use and study of international law around the world.
- Law students, practicing lawyers, human rights professionals, scholars, and other individuals seeking assistance in conducting international fieldwork and law-related research are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants can be of any nationality but must be current law students or have graduated from law school (at either the undergraduate or graduate levels) no earlier than December 2017.
- Individuals pursuing independent research or fieldwork are not eligible for Helton Fellowships.
- Applicants should also identify other potential sources of funding to cover costs related to their fieldwork. ASIL does not assist in securing organizational sponsorship or alternative funding for Fellows.
- Fellows must begin their fieldwork between April 2020 and September 2020. Helton Fellow projects must be completed no later than March 2021.
How to Apply?
- Applicants should provide two letters of recommendation from any individual who is in a position to assess academic performance, professional skills, and expertise, or any other qualifications related to the type of work contemplated by the Helton Fellowship Program.
- Applicants must submit completed applications to [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. ET, January 27, 2020.
- Incomplete applications and those received after January 27, 2020, will not be reviewed under any circumstances.
- Awards will be announced in March 2020.
Email ID: [email protected]