About Gujarat Maritime University
Gujarat Maritime University has been established under the Gujarat Private Universities Act, 2009. The prime objective of Gujarat Maritime University is to be a global centre of excellence in maritime education, research and development, professional training and it aims to enhance and increase the human capital and capacity of the maritime industry both in India and across the globe. The aspiration is to serve the global maritime community by producing educated and well-trained professionals in the maritime domain.
In the first phase, the University plans to offer programs catering to the commercial aspects of the Maritime value chain like maritime law, shipping finance and economics, maritime management, logistics, ship broking, ship finance, chartering, ship management just to name a few. The first phase will also have short term Executive Development Programs and Management Development Programs. The second phase will focus on the technical aspects.
To apply for the courses, click here: https://lawc.to/8xdQs
About the Courses
LL.M – International Trade Law
This program would offer you an encompassing view on International Trade and Commerce where the focus lies exclusively on the commercial law side of matters This course would also expose students to the International Trade Laws and Regulations, the ways in which trade benefits nations and modern advancements that affect trade between nations.
This course would take a student through:
- Introduction to International Trade – which familiarizes students with theories and policies that guide international trade. Students will get meaningful insights into why international trade is important for a country and how it effects production, profit and the economy
- International Business – where concepts and strategies that will help in building a successful international or domestic business. Students would also be exposed to the concept of globalization and how it affects business though case studies.
- The World Trade Organization – where students are familiarized with the laws and regulations set in place by the World Trade Organization. They would also learn how to meet the trade regulations and discuss the principles behind the organization’s dispute resolution system.
- Trade and Investment – where students will learn what different nations have to trade, when they trade it, why they trade it and what they hope to gain from the trade. This would sharpen the skills of students and they become more competitive when engaging in deals and making investments
- Risks, insurance, transportation and intellectual property rights – where students are taught how to cover risks and liability involved in business transactions. Also covered in this program is contracts of carriage, transport documents and related documents, and the liabilities of the carrier and the shipper
- Policy and Theory – where students learn trade theory and explore trade laws. They would be in a better position to analyze laws pertaining to monopolies and trade protection and discuss theories that can help them become successful in international trade.
The course would evince interest of individuals with a keen interest of specializing in a legal career focused on in trade, mostly international trade, by building on their trade law skills.
The program would equip students interested in international trade and most importantly, would offer first-hand training of the complex and challenging environment.
For full details, click here: https://gmu.edu.in/llm-in-international-trade-law/
LL.M – Maritime Law
It is a little known fact that a ship can be operated from one country, flagged for operational reasons to another and then has crew from yet another nation. This makes the domain of maritime law more intricate, yet exciting to pursue as a professional.
Topics under the maritime law is extremely varied and challenging which covers a huge range of subjects like salvage, collision liabilities, carriage of passengers, marine pollution liabilities, freezing injunctions, ship arrest, towage contracts, the limitation of liabilities and maritime liens.
An LLM in Maritime Law program would be ideal for students and professionals aiming to specialist in the shipping and maritime domain.
This course would take a student through:
The program would also expose students to various aspects of international maritime law and the key subjects would include:
- Admiralty Law – where the scope includes acquisitions and transfer of an interest in ships; ship mortgages; collisions; salvage; and marine pollution.
- International Law of the Sea – which explores the legal framework of a range of activities
- Marine Insurance Law – which explores circumstances in which risks to parties, cargo and ships involved in international trade can be covered
- International Sales Law
- Carriage of Goods by Sea – which would offer insights into maritime law and shipping contracts, charter party agreements, marine environment, marine insurance and a gamut of other topics of relevance that would make you stand out.
The program would interest anyone who has a passion for shipping and the diverse legalities that ships need to comply with not just limited nationally but on an international level.
The course is also aimed to attract those who are already working in the industry but strive to get on to a very exciting and challenging role.
For full details, click here: https://gmu.edu.in/llm-in-maritime-law/
MBA – Shipping & Logistics
The maritime sector is undergoing a complete overhaul in recent years and due to various developments and Government reforms initiated in India, including Sagarmala Project, subsidy schemes, Green Channel, Major Ports Authority bill among others, the sector is poised to experience renewed growth.
GMU, cognizant of this need, envisaged the course MBA – Shipping and Logistics as a means to develop experts of distinguished caliber. For this GMU has partnered with the reputed Copenhangen Business School.
- CBS Executive and Copenhagen as a hub for Global Shipping is renowned for its experience within the shipping and related industries.
- CBS Executive is a separate wing of the reputed Copenhagen Business School which offers the world-renowned CBS Executive MBA in Shipping and Logistics (AKA: The Blue MBA).
- The BLUE MBA has a world-class reputation in the Global Maritime Sector and is one of the best designed and executed course for management professionals
- The course MBA in Shipping and Logistics offered by GMU has been modelled on the lines of the world- famous BLUE MBA offered by CBS and will be the first-of-its-kind offering in India.
The inputs in terms of a conducive learning environment, top-class infrastructure and learning facilities, adept faculty members with a rich history of contribution to industry and academics and the exposure offered to sub-national, national and international contexts through partnerships, helps forge the management professionals with the most sought-after capabilities here, at GMU.
The program is divided into a semester pattern of two semesters per year, with sufficient time given to students for pursuing internships, projects and extra-curricular activities.
This course would take the students through
- Introduction to Maritime Management – The course covers the planning, organizing, staffing leading, coordinating and controlling functions that are critical for the current and future success of the shipping companies.
- Introduction to Global Maritime industry – This course provides an overview of the fundamentally different types of shipping that make up the global maritime supply chain
- Shipping Finance: provide a good understanding of maritime and shipping economics, ship economics, and the economics of specialized shipping markets.
- Marketing of shipping services – Students will be introduced to the fundamentals of marketing and advanced topics in strategic marketing and international marketing.
- Logistics and supply chain management – This course examines the planning and management of logistics services and supply chain operations. The course would also cover the combination of multiple transport modes in the context of intermodal and multimodal transportation.
- The digital transformation of the shipping industry – This course would provide the students an understanding of the Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Cyber Security and Blockchain solutions deployed in shipping and logistics.
- Human resources management – The course would enable learners to place an increased focus on human capital with developing and retaining talented work, negotiate empowerment and inclusion.
In addition to the above-mentioned courses, the student would also learn advanced topics covered through electives including Maritime Law, Chartering, Port operations, Marine Insurance among others based on their interest.
- Professionals and freshers who wish to undergo a rigorous niche sector MBA, offering an unprecedented depth of learning with a global outlook.
- Motivated and self-driven learners who wish to set themselves apart from the general crowd and be a part of a course designed by the best minds in the shipping academia.
- Professionals looking for advancement in their careers and drive revolutionary changes in their organizations. Candidates desirous of building a rich career as a Shipping and Logistics expert would find the course extremely suited to their needs.
For full details, click here: https://gmu.edu.in/mba-shipping-logistics/