About the Programme
Gujarat National Law University invites application in the prescribed online form for admission in Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programme for the academic year 2021-22. The University offers a Ph.D. Degree programmes in the interdisciplinary areas of research with the law in the disciplines of Management, Social Work, Sociology, Political Science, History, Economics, Physics and Botany.
Number of Seats
- Management: 07
- Social Work: 02
- Sociology/Allied Areas: 01
- Political Science: 02
- History/Allied Areas: 04
- Economics/Allied Areas: 12
- Physics/Allied Areas: 07
- Botany/Allied Areas: 03
Note: The suitability of topic and eligibility of the candidate will be determined by the availability of Supervisor/research facility/appropriateness of research proposal to be accepted by the Law University.
Minimum Qualifications for Admission
- Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have a Master’s degree in at least one of the above discipline or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or
authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September 1991. The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
- Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational
institutions, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme.
- The applicants who have cleared the entrance test with 50% score as qualifying marks are required to do a presentation on the preliminary research proposal with a statement of the research problem and a literature survey that demonstrates that the research topic is unexplored and an original scholarly contribution can be made on the same.
Eligibility Conditions for Admission
It is desirable that the applicants, who possess minimum prescribed qualifications for admission to Ph.D. Programme, should have excellent academic/professional track record in the relevant discipline.
The applicant for part-time Ph.D. should:
- Prove to the satisfaction of DRC that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research.
- Ensure that facilities for pursuing research are available at his place of work in the chosen field of research, where required.
Duration of the Ph.D. Programme
- Ph.D. programme shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years.
- Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the University.
- The women candidates and Persons with Disability (more than 40% disability) may be allowed a relaxation of two years for Ph.D. in the maximum duration. In addition, the women candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave once in the entire duration of Ph.D. programme for up to 240 days.
Category of Scholars
Scholars can be registered full time or on a part-time basis:
- A full time scholar has to attend the University regularly and will be subject to the prescribed attendance rules of the University.
- Professionally employed personnel may be allowed to pursue Ph.D. on part-time bases. Such candidates are required to submit a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their parent organization/department/employer stating that he/she is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis and that his/her duties permit him/her to devote sufficient time for research. Part Time Scholars will have to attend the classes for assigned course-work as per the rules of the University/UGC.
- Last date of receipt of application forms (in hard copy): August 31, 2021 (Tuesday)
- Date of online examination: September 04, 2021 (Saturday)
- Date of Research Proposal Presentation: September 18, 2021 (Saturday)
Admission Form and Fees Payment
The candidates who are interested in seeking admission in Ph.D. Programme can apply directly by filling the online admission form. The Application fee INR 4,000/- (non-refundable) shall be made through the following link: https://lawc.to/8iWyc
The hard copy of the filled-in admission form along with all the relevant certificates shall reach the University through post to the below-mentioned address latest by 31st August 2021.
For any query, please mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.