Government Law College, Mumbai invites delegate applications for the 9th Government Law College International Law Summit, organized by the Students for the Promotion of International Law (SPIL), Government Law College, Mumbai.
The Summit is scheduled to take place from the 9th – 11th of March, 2018. The theme for the Summit, 2018, is International Humanitarian Law.
Government Law College enjoys the distinction of being the oldest law school in Asia and has since its inception in 1855, essayed a seminal role in the evolution of the legal and judicial landscape of India.
International Humanitarian Law
9th and 11th March, 2018
9th March, 2018:
Venue: 20 Downtown, 2nd Floor, Cambata Building, Churchgate, Mumbai 400020.
A series of lectures by imminent personalities will be conducted from 4:00 pm onwards. The list of speakers and the topics to be covered by them are as follows:
- Mr. Girish Kuber: Managing Editor, LokSakta, will be speaking on Oil Politics and its impact on Humanitarian Issues.
- Ms. Jasdeep Randhawa: Presently working as a Transboundary Water Specialist, World Bank, New York, will be speaking on Displacement, its Causes and its Solutions.
- Ms.Maika Oshikawa: Officer in Charge, Accessions Divison, World Trade Organization, Geneva, will be speaking on WTO Accessions: Helping Conflict Affected and Fragile Economies.
- Ms. Yukiko Koyama and Ragini Trakroo Zutshi: They will be speaking on UNHCR’s Global Mandate and Persons of Concern.
- Keynote Address (9th March, 2018): Mr. Kishore Mandhyan: Former Director-Executive Office/Cabinet of UN Secretary General in the UN.
Date: 11th March, 2018
Venue: Mumbai University Convocation Hall, Fort, Mumbai 400 032
On 11th March, a panel discussion on the topic ‘Is India’s Refugee Policy a Case of Smoke and Mirrors?’ will be graced by accomplished dignitaries, namely:
- Mr. Rizwan Merchant,Advocate, Bombay High Court.
- Dr. K. M. Parivelan, Chairperson, Centre for Statelessness and Refugee Studies, TISS, Mumbai.
- Ms. Teesta SetalvadIndian Civil Rights Activist and Journalist.
- Mr. Vijay Hiremath, Advocate, Bombay High Court.
- Mr. Vismay Shroff:Partner, Parimal K. Shroff & Co.
The panel discussion will be moderated by Mr. Shardul Thacker, Senior Partner, Mulla & Mulla Craige Blunt & Caroe.
In light of India’s changing stance in the treatment of the asylum seeking population from Tibet vis-a-vis the Rohingya Refugees from Myanmar, we seek to adopt a cognitive and holistic approach to understand how India shapes its Refugee Policy to be different than in the 1970’s during the formation of Bangladesh and later during the migration of Sri Lankan Tamils.
To register as a delegate, kindly fill up the form here.
We provide certificates to all delegates who attend both the days of the International Law Summit, 2018.
We usually charge Rupees 150 from each delegate to witness the Summit.
You may pay in cash on the day of the Summit.
For any queries regarding the Summit, kindly mail us at [email protected].
Alternatively, you may contact Avirup Mandal: +91 88281 65365 or Dikshita Baruah: +91 84866 45548.
Follow our Facebook page for more timely updates, which you may find here.
Click here for information about competitions and other details.
Lawctopus is proud to be the media partner for this event.