Applications are invited for USIEF’s Fulbright-Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program, from professionals from developing countries.
About the Fellowship
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program, which is a Fulbright program, brings accomplished young and mid-career professionals from developing countries to the United States for ten months of non-degree graduate study and related practical professional experiences. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice-President of the United States, Hubert H. Humphrey.
The fellowships are awarded in the fields of
- Agricultural and Rural Development;
- Contagious and Infectious Diseases;
- Economic Development;
- Educational Administration,
- Planning and Policy;
- Finance and Banking;
- Higher Education Administration;
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention;
- Human Resource Management;
- International Religious Freedom;
- Law and Human Rights;
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change;
- Public Health Policy and Management;
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration;
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention;
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (Teacher Training or Curriculum Development);
- Technology Policy and Management; Trafficking in Persons, Policy and Prevention; Urban and Regional Planning.
- In case of ‘Teaching of English as a Foreign Language,’ applications are invited from curriculum specialists and teacher trainers who work in teacher training institutes, public or private organizations concerned with English language teaching and development. Applications from all the listed fields are welcome. Qualified women and candidates from minority and disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply.
Who is it For?
- Appropriate candidates are young and mid-career professionals in leadership positions who have a commitment to public service and the potential for professional advancement.
- Candidates should demonstrate the required experience, skills, and commitment while also indicating how they can benefit from this program in ways that they have not experienced previously and are not likely to experience without the Humphrey program.
- Candidates should be proficient in both written and spoken English and will be required to take an Internet-based Test (iBT) of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
In addition to the General Prerequisites the applicant:
- must have a master’s degree or a professional degree of at least four years’ duration;
- must have at least 5 years of substantial professional experience (prior to August 2022) in the respective field, and be eligible for leave;
- should have demonstrated leadership qualities;
- should have a record of public service in the community; and
- must give an undertaking to return to India on completion of the fellowship.
Who are Ineligible?
- Individuals with less than five years of full-time professional experience prior to August 2022.
- University teachers with no management or policy responsibilities, except for teachers of English as a foreign language and specialists in substance abuse prevention and treatment.
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2022.
- Individuals who have had more than six months of U.S. experience during the five years prior to August 2022.
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status.
How Does it Work?
- The Humphrey fellows undertake master’s level work directly related to their professional needs and fields of interest but do not result in the awarding of a degree.
- They are assigned in clusters of 8-15 to the institution offering the most appropriate program in their area of interest.
- These clusters are balanced geographically, permitting interaction among fellows from various countries. The host universities are chosen for their excellence in the Humphrey fields and for the resources and support they offer Humphrey Fellows. Placement at a specific university requested by a candidate cannot be arranged.
- Programs arranged for the Humphrey fellows will begin in August 2022.
- They include academic coursework at the master’s level, and place considerable emphasis on activities such as seminars, special projects, field trips, attendance at professional meetings and conferences, networking with professional counterparts, and professional affiliations with appropriate organizations.
- These activities provide fellows with practical experience in their fields outside the university setting. Each fellow designs his/her individual program with the Humphrey coordinator’s assistance.
- During their Humphrey year, fellows are expected to be resourceful, display initiative, and network with U.S. organizations and professionals.
How to Apply?
- The application must be submitted online. The link is given at the end of this post.
- Confidential Letter of Reference
- Confidential Letter of Reference from Current Employer
- Employer’s Endorsement Form
- The completed application (including enclosures) must be sent to humphrey[at]usief.org.in by the application deadline.
- Please indicate your full name and grant category in the subject line of your e-mail. For instance, if your name is Amit Gupta, you should write “Amit Gupta Hubert H. Humphrey Application,” in the subject line.
- Applicants are also advised to request two referees to send in their recommendations as per the instructions given on the first page of each fellowship application form. Referee(s) should send the signed and scanned copy of the confidential report of reference by the application deadline at humphrey[at]usief.org.in
- All entries in the application form must be computer-generated and not hand-written. Please do not exceed the word limit or attach additional pages to answer questions, unless otherwise specified.
To know the complete application procedure, click here.
Application Due Date: June 15, 2021, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
For any queries contact: humphrey[at]usief.org.in
Visit the website here for more details on Humphrey Fellowship Program.
Interested in such Fellowships and Scholarships? Then, these might interest you.
- Youth Center for Research (YCR) Summer Research Programme 2021: Apply by June 5
- Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships 2022 for UG Programs [Allowance Rs. 82k/Month]: Apply by May 28
- Teaching Human Rights Fellowship by The Human Projects: Apply by May 20
- Schwarzman Scholars Masters Program 2022-23 at Tsinghua University, China: Apply by Sep 21