Lily Thomas and Saju Jakob Advocates and Solicitors, a law firm in New Delhi, is organizing their 2nd Essay Writing Competition for the Lily Thomas Memorial Lecture Series 2.0.
About the Firm
Lily Thomas, a name that can’t be forgotten, and inventor of a new idea, called Public Interest Litigation, has dedicated her entire life to converting our country into a better place to live in.
Adv. Saju Jakob, being the legacy holder of Adv. Lily Thomas, along with his colleagues, has been stern to carry forward her vision and mission to create constitutional awareness of equality and fraternity in the society.
The law firm aims to perpetuate the spirit of social revolution by fighting for the rights of as many individuals as possible.
About the Competition
The firm is organizing its 2nd Essay Writing Competition. The topic for this year’s Essay Writing Competition, as below: “Ambit and scope of accountability/liability of a public officer, in India, in the event of failure to perform public duties or to protect the fundamental rights while discharging public duties“.
The aim of the competition is to promote lawyers as the inventors of social transformation, which always requires a shift in the collective consciousness of society and hence new inventions in the field of law through lawyers.
It is open to all law students, advocates, legal professionals, journalists and academicians and to all those who are interested in other related fields.
About the Theme
Article 34 of the German Constitution provides for liability for violation of official duty. Under the provision, if any person, in the exercise of a public office entrusted to him, violates his official duty towards a third party, liability shall rest principally with the state or public body that employs him.
In the event of intentional wrongdoing or gross negligence, the right of recourse against the individual officer shall be preserved. The ordinary courts should not be closed to claims for compensation or indemnity.
Many other countries have guaranteed such rights in their Constitutions. The essay writing competition invites/calls for articles on the important subject of accountability of offices holding Public Officers, especially Civil Servants, Central/State Governments, PSU’s, Nationalized Banks, and other officers who use public money for the public cause.
- Winner: Rs. 10,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- First Runner-up: Rs. 5,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- Second Runner-up: Rs. 3,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- The next 7 participants will each receive Rs. 1,000/- and a Certificate of Appreciation.
- The Articles of the Top Three candidates will be published on the firm’s official website.
- The Top Three participants will be given a two-minute opportunity to present their papers in the Memorial Lecture
- Active Participants who attend the Memorial Lecture on December 12, 2021, at 4:15 PM will be awarded a Certificate of Participation
- Word Limit: 1600-1800 words (excluding footnotes and abstract).
- No Co-authorship is allowed.
- Multiple entries for the same authors are not allowed.
- Individual Attachments: Name; contact details; current academic status (if applicable); Year, University/College, etc. undertaking to guarantee originality.
- Citation Style: 19th Bluebook edition.
- The Font shall be Times New Roman, the font size- 12 and the line spacing is 1.5.
How to Submit?
All the interested participants should send their articles along with abstracts by 04th December 2021 with the subject “Lawyers as Inventors”. Essays should be sent to the firm’s office via email at
Participants shall send their personal details/contact details. Any late submission will not be considered.
Results will be announced on December 12, 2021, in the Memorial Lecture, the details of which will be uploaded later/soon.
- Deadline for abstract and full paper submission: December 4, 2021
- Memorial Lecture: December 12, 2021, at 16:15 hrs.
- Result Declaration: December 12, 2021
For any further queries, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or you
can contact at 9667661678.
Registration to the Competition is free and open to all.
Click here for the firm’s official website.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.