The LAAC (Legal Aid and Awareness Committee) of NLUJ and IDIA are conducting the Essay Writing Competition 2021. Register for the competition by March 28th.
About the Organizers
The Legal Aid and Awareness Committee (LAAC) is a student-run body of National Law University Jodhpur, which works towards imparting practical knowledge and information regarding the basic legal rights and remedies to the masses. LAAC has undertaken initiatives aimed at spreading legal awareness and improving the quality of life of socially and economically disadvantaged by helping them attain their rights under socially beneficial legislation.
Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) is a non-governmental organization that strives to make legal education accessible to all, regardless of geographical or financial constraints. It also aims to bring about class, caste, and gender equality in law schools. The work of IDIA does not stop here; it also provides the zealous and hardworking students, who are otherwise unable to afford it, coaching for various law entrance examinations like – CLAT, AILET (after they are selected through an aptitude test).
Furthermore, IDIA students who qualify through such entrance exams are provided with scholarships for the continuance of their law school education, along with additional training and mentoring to ensure that the scholars can cope with the academic workload at par with other students.
With this Competition, the Organizing Committees aim to achieve a dual purpose:
- By furthering academic discourse, facilitating conversation, and increasing discussion around sociologically important topics.
- By contributing towards the goal of increased access to education to the students from marginalized communities.
- Towards this end, 100% of the amount obtained as registration fee from this Competition will be used to sponsor the training/education of IDIA trainees.
- The essay competition is divided into two categories. The following are the two categories.
- I. Participant Category 1: Class 9th to 12th (School Category)
- Gender stereotypes in classrooms/education system.
- Should housewives be compensated for their household work?
- Crimes against women in India – An analysis of the current scenario in India along with policy suggestions to improve the status quo.
- II. Participant Category 2: Undergraduate college students (College Category)
- Gender stereotypes: An analysis of their existence in today’s modern society, or a comparative study of the past and present (what has changed, what hasn’t) … in the context of law, politics, education, etc.
- “Women: Creating, Doing, Leading”
- Sociological analysis on the reasons behind the underrepresentation of women in STEM fields.
- Should menstrual relief benefits be made mandatory in the interest of women in India? If yes, provide suggestions for its inclusion as a legislative mandate.
The participants can register for the essay competition by paying a nominal fee of ₹ 150 by the registration deadline, i.e. March 28, 2021.
Interested students can register themselves at this link
The participants shall submit their essays latest by 11:59 p.m. on 7th April 2021.
Participants can either Paytm or Google Pay the fee amount to:-
- Gpay: praveena.kan@okaxis (Praveena)
- Paytm: 8890253685 (Pooja)
- Winner (In college category): A cash prize of ₹ 5,000/- + An opportunity to publish in FeminisminIndia, to intern with Niti Manthan.
- Winner (In the school category): A cash prize of INR 2000
- Runner-Up (In the school category): A cash prize of INR 1000
- The top three entries from each category will be felicitated with a certificate of merit.
- Participation certificates would also be provided to all the participants.
Kindly find attached the rules of the Competition. In case of a query, you can contact :
- Pallavi Diwakar (LAAC, Co-convener: 7905034356
- Praveena NS (Deputy Team Leader, IDIA Rajasthan Chapter): 9959235575
- Pooja Dhamor (Deputy Team Leader, IDIA Rajasthan Chapter): 8890253685
Click here for the brochure.
Keep following our ‘Essay Competitions ‘ section for more such essay writing opportunities.