The Digital Development Global Practice (DD), a part of the World Bank’s Infrastructure Practice Group is seeking to hire a professional for the job role of Digital Development Specialist, in Delhi.
The Infrastructure Practice Group
Globally, 840 million people live more than 2 kilometres from all-weather roads, 1 billion people lack electricity, and 4 billion people lack Internet access. Access to basic infrastructure services is critical for creating economic opportunities for the poor.
The Infrastructure Practice Group is charged with developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging. The World Bank Group helps developing countries build smart infrastructure that supports inclusive and sustainable growth, expands markets, creates job opportunities, promotes competition, and contributes to a cleaner future.
We help countries address their unique infrastructure needs by working with the public and private sectors. Infrastructure improves lives by connecting people to opportunity.
Digital Development Global Practice
The Digital Development Global Practice (DD) is part of the Bank’s Infrastructure Practice Group.
The DD Global Practice is led by a Director supported by five Practice Managers with specific regional and global responsibilities. The DD South Asia Unit is responsible for Digital Development activities and portfolio in South Asia, including lending, supervision and analytical work.
The DD South Asia Unit is looking for a Digital Development (DD) Specialist to be based in New Delhi. English is essential for this position. The candidate will demonstrate strong sector knowledge, combined with the experience of client engagement on digital economy/digital government development globally, and preferably in more than one Region.
The DD Specialist will be based in New Delhi and will report to the Practice Manager, and work closely with the Country Director and Infrastructure Practice Group Program Leader based in India.
For more information, please click here.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Specialist will support the GP’s activities in India and the South Asia region, including lending operations, policy dialogue and advisory activities, and analytical and knowledge exchange work. The Specialist will also support other global practices looking to maximize the impact of digital development across economic and social sectors.
Lending operations, policy dialogue, and advisory work
- Participate in policy dialogue and client engagement on digital development in India, in collaboration with DD and other practice group colleagues as required.
- Participate in the design, preparation and supervision of World Bank Group-financed digital development related programs—which may be a combination of investment, policy-based or technical assistance operations—supporting e-/digital government, shared platforms and integrated digital solutions for investments and projects, and the digital economy ecosystem.
- Advise clients on strategies, best practices, and design of programs to develop the foundations of their digital economies through regulatory/policy reforms, investments in digital infrastructures, platforms and services, and promoting development of digital skills and innovation.
- Participate in missions and project supervision in the sector as a technical expert; interacting with clients at the policy and senior management levels, collaborating with sector agencies and donors.
Analytical and knowledge exchange work
- Generate ‘think pieces’ and ‘best practice’ papers; organize and deliver knowledge events and programs to boost knowledge sharing and exchange between India and the world of various digital development topics; produce major/complex reports, including preparing and supervising publication of best practice notes and reports on policy and regulation, and on technology and business innovations in the digital economy sector.
- Engage and build strong networks with international organizations, thinktanks, academic institutions, and private companies in India with whom the WB can collaborate and bring value to client developments.
- Represent the DD Unit and the Bank at digital development related fora and events, as well as liaison in the above areas with key external partners.
- Develop with colleagues working in other sectors (including social protection, agriculture, health, education, energy, financial services, transport, etc.) innovative and practical approaches to leverage digital technologies to improve service delivery and efficiency in the respective sectors and to stimulate digital innovation, entrepreneurship and investment in those sectors by private sector actors.
- Advise colleagues on technical matters related to digital applications in their sectors.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Master’s degree in telecommunications, engineering, computer science, law, economics, public policy or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience in ICT/Digital Economy policy and regulation and/or ICT/Digital Economy project design and implementation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of digital policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations needed to support development and for the success of Bank interventions and national digital capabilities.
- Understanding of role of private sector on digital development
- Takes on core business development tasks, such as preparing project proposals, drafting project concept notes, understanding, and complying with operational procedures in relation to new business opportunities, including with supervision of senior staff.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills, including ability to think strategically and innovatively about the role of digital technologies for socio-economic development and for transformation in other sectors of the economy, with an ability to create synergies with other sectors.
- Strong understanding of digital technology and digitally enabled business model trends relevant to socio-economic development in the Asian context and enthusiasm to stay abreast of new innovations.
- Prior work experience in India, in the South Asia region, and good knowledge of digital development issues in the region is a plus.
- Strong client engagement skills, taking responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or project success.
- Excellent written communication skills in English as demonstrated in a proven track record of effectively delivering technical information in a clear, easily understandable and effective manner.
- Excellent presentation skills, using charts, graphs and other data presentation techniques appropriately to communicate data, technical information, or complex concepts to non-specialists.
- Proven ability to function effectively as a team member of multi-disciplinary teams and resolve conflicts constructively.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Proficiency in English is essential.
Click here for more information about the role.