Applications are now open for the DAAD Scholarship for LL.M in Intellectual Property from The Munich Intellectual Property Law Centre (MIPLC).
About the Scholarship
MIPLC is a part of the DAAD’s scholarship program for “Development-Related Postgraduate Courses”. If you would like to apply for the scholarship offered in this context, please note that several special conditions apply.
What is Covered by the Scholarship?
Scholarship recipients will get
- A full MIPLC fee waiver
- A monthly stipend of EUR 850 (INR 73,949.65)
- Payments towards health, accident and liability insurance coverage in Germany
- A travel allowance, unless these costs are covered by the home country or by another funding source
- A study and research allowance
- A mandatory two-month German course before the start of the MIPLC LL.M program (August and September, in Munich or another German city).
Since the DAAD scholarship includes a full fee waiver, you must apply simultaneously for MIPLC financial assistance (cf. section 2a).
Please also refer to the brochure for “Development-Related Postgraduate Courses” for more information.
Where MIPLC and DAAD requirements differ, the stricter one applies.
You are eligible for the DAAD scholarship if you meet the following requirements in addition to the MIPLC admission criteria (cf. section 1):
- You are from a developing country (according to the OECD DAC list) and have not been living outside your home country (or another developing country) for more than the past two years.
- You hold at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree (or a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a further degree), completed with above-average results.
- You received your latest degree no more than 6 years before your application.
- You have at least 2 years of full-time professional experience gained in a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country. To meet this requirement, it is sufficient if you have completed the 2 years by February of the year in which you intend to start your studies at MIPLC.
Scientific university staff and academics are not the core target group of this program and are therefore considered only in exceptional cases.
- An above-average bachelor’s degree (240 ECTS credits)
an above-average bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) plus an additional year of professional experience beyond the one required in the next point .
- One year of professional, apart from actual employment in a paid position, “professional experience” also includes internships or work as a research assistant.
- Very good knowledge of the English language, demonstrated by one of the following test results obtained within the last 3 years (waived for applicants who received their degree from a university at which English is the language of instruction):
- a TOEFL score of 85 points (internet-based), 223 points (computerbased), or 563 points (paper-based);
- an IELTS score of 6.5 or above; • a minimum grade of “C” on the Cambridge CPE.
Please refer to this page for information about documents required for applying and for the online application form.
The LL.M. program starts every year in early October.
Applications for admission are accepted from December 1 until April 30 for the following academic year.
Candidates who seek financial assistance from the DAAD scholarship for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses must apply for both admissions to the program and the scholarship more than a year in advance. For them, the application period is June 1 to October 15 for the intake of the following academic year.
How to Apply?
To apply for this scholarship, please follow the seven steps below.
Step 1: Download and read the DAAD Program Brochure.
Step 2: Check Your eligibility
Determine whether you are eligible for the scholarship by DAAD and MIPLC standards, keeping in mind that where MIPLC and DAAD requirements differ, the stricter requirement prevails.
Step 3: Apply for Admission to the MIPLC
Please refer to the instructions in section 4.1 of Application Instructions.
Step 4: Apply for MIPLC Financial Assistance
Please refer to the instructions in section 4.2 of Application Instructions.
Step 5: Complete the DAAD Scholarship Application Form
For details please refer to the Application Instructions, section 4.3.
Step 6: Make Sure Your File is Complete
You complete file includes
- The MIPLC application form for admission
- The MIPLC application form for financial assistance
- The DAAD application form for the scholarship
- The documents required by each form.
Please use the checklist to make sure your application is complete.
Please also note that the DAAD is very strict, in particular regarding the requirement that letters of recommendation and proof of your professional experience be printed on official stationery, stamped and signed.
Step 7: Submit Your Application
Please upload all documents to Cryptshare as explained in the Application Instructions (page 11).
Refer to the file below for the Application Instructions.
Application & Selection
Please refer to the Application Instructions for detailed information.
Complete applications will be evaluated for admission on a rolling basis. From all admitted applicants, the evaluators will put together a shortlist of candidates, who will be invited for a video conference interview taking place in January or February.
Based on these interviews, the MIPLC will pre-select the scholars and the DAAD will take the final decision in early March.
October 15, 2021