About Lawctopus’ Courses
Since the last 10 years, Lawctopus’ mission has been to enable informed and inspired careers. While online media has been our medium of service until now, we have now ventured into e-learning as well.
Our online certificate course on ‘Contract Drafting and Negotiation’ will teach you the fundamentals of contracts, contract drafting, and contract negotiation.
Lawctopus’ Contracts and Contract Drafting Course
If you know your contracts well, you can make a living, or some would say a killing, (though we are against using war metaphors in learning) as a lawyer.
Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts are skills any lawyer (especially non-litigation practitioners) do for bread, butter, and Mercedes.
This course, designed for law students and young lawyers, will clarify your contracts-related concepts, and teach you the fundamentals of contract drafting.
This is how it is structured:
Module 1 and 2- Basics of Contracts
This module introduces you to the basics: what are the elements of a valid contract, provides you with an overview of the development of contract law, and sets you on a motion to begin mastering the subject.
Assignment 1 (self-assessment): Is this a contract?
Module 2- Pre Contractual Instruments: A step before the formal contract
This module will help you understand the prerequisites required before drafting a formal contract. An often-ignored topic, which will hold you in good stead.
Modules 4, 5, and 6- Drafting of Contracts: Understand the anatomy of a contract and its clauses
This module will help you to understand what are the various components which comprise an agreement. You will learn in-depth about drafting an excellent agreement and understand the various clauses which go into the making of a contract.
Assignment 2 (self-assessment): Be your client’s consulting lawyer.
Assignment 3 (self-assessment): Rewrite, redraft, and hone your craft!
Module 7- Execution Formalities and Processes
How is a contract effectuated after it is drafted and signed? In this module we’ll discuss issues like stamp duty, the role of witnesses, schedules, and annexures.
Module 8- Introduction to Negotiation
The real-world lawyers negotiate day in and day out and while entire books can be written on the subjects of negotiation, this primer is a good start.
Module 9- Key Commercial Contracts
In this module, we will take a look at four key commercial contracts. We will see what exact clauses go into the making of these contracts, why are they important, and understand how these contracts and drafted and reviewed.
Assignment 4 (compulsory, evaluated): The full contract review and redrafting exercise.
Supplementary Module 10- Anatomy of a Contract or a Deep-Dive into various sections of a contract
Learn from Advocate Lokenath Chatterjee as he discusses each clause, each section of a contract thread-bare, from a legal and a practical/business perspective.
Supplementary Module 11- Summary and analysis of 20 leading cases on Contracts
Read about the 20 leading cases (the landmark and the recent cases) which have shaped Contract Law. We won’t leave you with mere information, we’ll leave you with a question!
Faculty and Research Team: Contracts and Contract Drafting Course
Mr. Bhumesh Verma (Lead Faculty)
Bhumesh Verma is a seasoned legal practitioner with over 25 years of experience as a corporate lawyer. Mr. Verma has been a partner at Khaitan & Co., Paras Kuhad & Associates, and is currently the Managing Partner at Corp Comm Legal.
He is the author of the book ‘Practical Guide to Drafting Commercial Contracts‘ published by OakBridge.
Shayonee Dasgupta (Lead Researcher)
Shayonee is a 2012 graduate from NUJS, Kolkata. She has worked as an Associate at Trilegal (2012-15), and then at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas where she was a senior associate in 2017-18.
Deeply passionate about legal education, Shayonee is currently a consultant at IDIA, and is a freelance researcher-writer.
Rachel Chenchiah (Faculty Advisor)
Rachel is a 2011 graduate of NLSIU, Bangalore. She has been a Fellow at Teach for India, an Associate at Khaitan & Co., and a Research Associate at Azim Premji Foundation.
She has also worked as a Senior Legal Counsel at Infosys, Bangalore for 2 years and is currently a Legal Counsel at Ola Electric.
OakBridge (Knowledge Partner)
OakBridge is a new-age information services company. The Founders are IIM Bangalore alumni and seasoned executives having well rounded combined experience of 40+ years with leading MNCs like LexisNexis, Wolters Kluwer CCH, Pearson, McGraw-Hill and MacMillan, in the field of Publishing & Information Solutions, and Event Management.
Who is this course for?
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of law.
- Young lawyers who want to revise the fundamentals of contracts and contract drafting.
- CXOs, entrepreneurs, HR managers who wish to gain a basic understanding of contracts and how contracts and drafted.
- Legal academicians who want to gain a practical understanding of the drafting of contracts.
Details for our Contracts and Contract Drafting Course
Duration: 8 weeks
Course fee: Rs. 4400 + 18% GST (for the 1st batch only).
Along with the course, you’ll get the e-book of Practical Guide to Drafting Commercial Contracts by Bhumesh Verma (published by OakBridge).
Mode of learning:
- Completely online and self-paced
- Recorded video lectures
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- Online based forum for doubts
- 4-6 live webinars/sessions (optional) with Lawctopus’ team and subject experts
Assignment: a contract review and drafting exercise
- Optional assignment: “Is this a contract/offer/consideration/etc.”?
- Optional assignment: “Be a lawyer, explain the client”.
- Optional assignment: “Redraft clauses”.
- Compulsory assignment: Review, revise, and redraft a faulty agreement
- Optional assignment: “Live negotiation”
- Get a certificate issued by Lawctopus after the completion of the course.
- Free career counseling, CV, and career guidance for the best student in each batch.
- Get preferable internship slots with partner organisations (for the top-performing students in each batch).
- A chance to get published on Academike, Lawctopus’ Law Journal (ISSN: 2349-9796) (if your paper is around contract law).
- An opportunity to mentor future batches for senior students, academicians, and practitioners (this is a paid, part-time, work-from-position at Lawctopus).
If you have any questions, please leave a comment on this post or email at [email protected]
Last date to register
Note: Going by the response to our courses, we urge you to register asap.
To register for the Contracts and Contract Drafting Course, please click here.