The knowledge of the Companies Act is the starting point for your career as a Corporate Lawyer. Our course on ‘Companies Act – Law, Practice, Career’ will empower you to take this first step into being a professional in the world of Corporate Law.
The course covers the key elements of the Companies Act and has been developed by experts who have robust industry experience, strong teaching credentials, and are themselves practising professionals.
About Lawctopus Law School
Lawctopus Law School’s courses have been undertaken by 3600+ law students, young lawyers, professionals, academicians, and business people in the last 10 months. Over 350 students have rated our courses and the average rating is 89/100.
This has meant wide-ranging industry recognition with tie-ups with law firms like Surana and Surana, Sujata Choudhari IP Attorneys, publishers like Oakbridge, and industry bodies like Delhi Management Association, etc. We were also shortlisted for the Agami Prize 2020.
We value your trust and we are confident that our newest offering will prove immensely beneficial in your education and your career!
How the course will help you
The knowledge and skills you learn from the course will help you know:
- the why and how of Company Law
- the registration process of a company
- management of a company
- financing of a company
- restructuring of a company
- about opportunities in corporate law
By the end of this course, You would have not only take the first step but a leap towards being a wholesome corporate lawyer. You will develop a strong knowledge of the Companies Act, and familiarise with real life examples. This Course will enable you to delve into the practicalities of Companies Act.
You’ll also have a clear roadmap on how to succeed as a corporate lawyer, or use the knowledge as a CA/CS professional/student.
The Course Outline is as follows:
- An orientation session that explains how to make full use of the course
- Rigorously researched reading resources
- Recorded video lectures by experts covering the important elements companies act, its practice and legal developments
- A question and answer forum to resolve all your doubts
- Assignments (both objective and essay-type) and feedback
- WhatsApp group and regular emails for constant communication
- 5-6, 90-minute long live sessions by experts which build upon the course material and resolve all your doubts and questions
- Monthly webinars on related (and off-beat) topics that are exclusive for our students
THE COURSE STRUCTURE
This course on Companies Act – Law, Practice, Career has 11 modules.
Module 1 – Understanding the concept of ‘COMPANY’
- Meaning and definition of a Company
- Company viz-a-viz other forms of businesses
- The nature and features of a Company
Module 2 – Company Law: Key Concepts
- Historical developments and Jurisprudence of Company Law
- Key concepts
- Introduction to Corporate Personality: The idea of Corporate Veil
- Majority Rule and the rights of Minority
Module 3 – Incorporation of a Company
- Pre-incorporation stage: Role of Promoters
- Incorporation stage: Process and Concepts
- MOA & AOA: Different types of Clauses & Doctrines
Assignment 1 – Redrafting and reworking on rough versions of MoA and AoA. Feedback will be given by the practising experts at Lawctopus Law School.
Module 4 – Capital Financing
- Financing a company: Capital and Debt
- Share, Share Capital, and Member
- Debentures and Deposits
Module 5 – Management of Shares
- Transfer of Shares
- Reduction of Share Capital
- Buy-back of Shares
Module 6 – Shareholder Meetings
- General and Extra-ordinary Meeting
- Calling, convening, and conducting meetings
- Resolutions and Voting
Assignment 2 – A practice exercise concerning the drafting of a Board Resolution and Agenda of a Meeting.
Module 7 – Control and Management of a Company
- Directors: Appointment and Qualifications
- Rights and Duties of Directors
- Board of Directors and its Meetings
- Committees of the Board
- Key Managerial Personnel
Module 8 – Important Restrictive concepts in Company Law
- Related Party Transactions
- Accounts and Audit
- Offences and Penalties
Module 9 – Corporate Restructuring and other Concepts
- Introduction to Corporate Restructuring
- Winding up of a Company and Tribunals
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Criminal Liability under Companies Act
Module 10 – Basics of M&A and Deal Making Process
- Introduction: What is M&A?
- Structuring of an M&A Deal
- Steps involved in an M&A Deal
- Methods of raising capital
- Stakeholders involved in an M&A deal
- Key laws and regulating bodies & Due Diligence
- Identifying and allocating risk
- Key terms in Substantive Documentation
Assignment 3 -MCQ based Quiz on Companies Act!
Module 11 – Careers in Corporate Law
- The ideal Resume (CV) and application for a corporate job
- The career journey and the day-in-a-life of a Corporate Lawyer
- Generalization vs Specialization
- Fields of Practice in Companies Law
- Working in a Law Firm vs Working as In-house Counsel in a Company
FACULTY & RESEARCH TEAM
Mohit is a graduate in law with a gold medal from RGNUL, Punjab. He has done his post-graduation in Law from the University of Rajasthan.
He is a qualified Company Secretary and currently a Guest Faculty at ICSI. He is a practising Advocate in Commercial Laws, Taxation Laws and Corporate Crimes at Rajasthan High Court, NCLAT, ITAT.
During his graduation, he has won NLUJ Anit-Trust Moot Court Competition, WBNUJS-Herbert Smith Freehills National Moot Court Competition and NLUD-INSOL International Insolvency Law Moot Court Competition which are some of the best moot court competitions in the field of Corporate Law.
Garima is a graduate in Law from NUSRL Ranchi and has completed her LLM from NALSAR, Hyderabad where she is currently pursuing her PhD in Law.
Garima has previously worked as the Deputy Manager for the Corporate Legal Department of HDFC Limited Head Office from 2016-19.
Who is this course for?
- law students interested in Company laws and especially Companies Act
- CA or CS students who want to learn more about the Companies Act
- practising lawyers looking to start or get into the practice of Corporate Law
- legal academicians who want to gain a practical understanding of the Companies Act
- other professionals and academicians with an interest in the subject
Details of our Companies Act – Law, Practice and Career Course
Duration: 8 weeks
Course fee: Rs. 6400 inclusive of GST.
Certificate: Yes, the certificate will be awarded to all the candidates on the successful completion of the course and all the 3 assignments.
Mode of learning
- Recorded video lectures
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- 5-6 live, 90-minute long webinars/sessions
- Online based forum for doubts
- Assignments and feedback
The course is completely online and self-paced with fixed-time slots for live lectures and deadlines for assignments.
The recorded versions of the live lectures too are available to those who want to review the lecture or watch it in case they have missed attending the session live.
- Get a certificate issued by Lawctopus on successful completion of the course
- Get access to recorded sessions on CV making; making it as a legal freelancer
- Internship positions for best-performing students with Lawctopus’ partner organizations
- Ad-hoc paid assignments after the completion of the course
- Publication opportunities on Academike for best-performing students
If you have any questions, please leave a comment on this post or email at email@example.com
Want to talk to someone before taking a decision? Call our counsellor Snigdha Ghatak at +91-9711614572, between 10.30 am to 7.30 pm (Monday is weekly off for us!)