The Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) is a collective of lawyers and social activists working towards the cause of advancing the human rights movement in India through litigation, research, awareness and aid initiatives.
To further HRLN’s mandate, the organisation involves students in its activities through the posts of ‘Campus Volunteers’ so that the college students of the country get a chance to become a part of the movement for human rights in India.
2012: A pilot phase of the program was launched in February 2012 and 22 volunteers were chosen from colleges all across the country.
Along with conducting events like documentary screenings in their campuses and assisting HRLN in its research initiatives, the volunteers also founded India’s first student newsletter on human rights, ‘Human Rights on Campus,’ (See here) and published articles and videos regarding relevant national and international human rights issues regularly.
Following the Pilot batch, a pioneer batch was launched in June 2012, with the total strength of volunteers increasing to 43, from law schools across India. Along with research for the blog, the volunteers assisted HRLN’s Delhi unit in fact findings, and some were selected to attend HRLN’s Annual General Meeting.
Volunteers will be given research work by HRLN’s various projects and will also conduct activities and research independently. The volunteers will stay connected on an online platform and work towards the following goals:
• Assist HRLN’s initiatives and state units in research and assist HRLN in drafting and researching for cases.
•Engage in developing and spreading a comprehensive framework of human rights education in Schools and Colleges with other volunteers and HRLN staff.
•Contribute to the HRLN Campus Volunteers’ newsletter, Human Rights on Campus.
• Spreading awareness and education of human rights issues through dialogues, discussions, seminars, debates etc.
• The volunteers will also get the opportunity to interact with other students interested in human rights from all across the country and abroad through a common platform for the exchange of ideas for human rights activism and research.
• The volunteers will get a real world perspective on human rights in India as they will be directly attached to HRLN’s initiatives.
• The volunteers will be able to gain research and organisational experience related to human rights while moderating their responsibility according to their academic schedule in college.
• All active volunteers will get certificates for their contribution to the program. The best Campus Volunteers will be awarded cash prizes from HRLN and our collaborators.
Application Deadline: For the period of February-May, 2013, send your applications with a filled up form by 30th January, 2013.
Eligibility: Any graduate and post-graduate students are eligible to apply.
Induction and Orientation:
The selected volunteers will be inducted via online workshops and meetings in State Units and the New Delhi Unit in February to acquaint them with the organisation and the activities of its various initiatives.
The volunteers will get the opportunity to interact directly with the project heads and the student co-ordinators of the program to prepare for the program.
• Send an e-mail to hrln [dot] campus [at] gmail [dot] com with a duly filled up form attached to it, with the subject ‘Application for HRLN Campus Volunteers –batch II’ The form also includes a 500 word write-up requiring answers to the following questions:
o Why do you want to join the programme?
o What ideas do you have to carry out the goals for Campus Volunteers (as listed above)?
o Have you been involved in initiatives that have tested your organisational and leadership skills in College? If yes, tell us about them.
• The volunteers will only be required to put in a limited number of hours in a week so as to not affect their academic routine.
• The form is available on the HRLN website.
• Email: hrln [dot] campus [at] gmail [dot] com
• Phone: Yash S Vijay, Student Co-ordinator – +91 98265 95911