The Legal Aid Society at the National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS) in Calcutta – one of India’s premiere national law schools – is a body which inducts students to use their theoretical knowledge of law in the practical world to provide free legal aid to the ones most in need of it through preventive, remedial, activist and reformative functions.
Pursuant to our goal of sparking off an academic quest for a National Refugee Protection Law, the NUJS-LAS is organizing its 5th Annual National Conference on the theme “Protection of Refugees in India: An End to Lawless Persecution” from February 27 to March 1, 2015.
We invite students and academicians to present papers on the theme of the conference by sending in their submissions latest by January 16, 2015.
The following is an indicative list of themes for presenting papers:
(a) Refugees and Stateless Persons
(b) Legal Aid for Refugees: Institutional Infrastructure
(c) Possibility of Partnerships in Protection of Refugee rights
(d) Migration Trends – International Best Practices
(e) Role of Non-state entities in Refugee Protection
(f) Operational Challenges in Refugee Protection: Administrative and Policy Perspective
(g) Risk relating to resettlement and rehabilitation of refugees
(h) Forced Returns Policy and its viability in the Indian context
(i) Climactic Migration
(j) India’s passive refusal to grant refugee status to Rohingya and Afghan immigrants
The guidelines for the paper presentation are as follows:
1. Co-authorship is allowed for up-to 2 authors per submission.
2. The papers sent should be original and unpublished.
3. Any uniform style of footnoting can be adhered to.
4. The prescribed upper word limit is 3000 (exclusive of footnotes).
5. The submission must contain a cover page, including the names of the author, the name of the institution and the title of the paper.
6. A separate abstract of approximately 300 words must be provided for the article.
7. All submissions should be made to [email protected]
Accommodation and local hospitality will be provided to authors whose papers are selected for presentation at the conference.
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences,
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Bhawan,
12, LB Block, Sector III, Salt Lake City,
Calcutta – 700098.
Promit Chatterjee (98363 20798)
Mansi Jhaveri (80174 20617)
Sriraman Jha (91635 96736)