About The Seminar
The Indian Journal of Law & International Affairs (ISSN 2518-3257), in association with the Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, is organising a one-day International Symposium on ‘Contemporary International Affairs’ on the 16th of April, 2017.
Eminent personalities from various spheres of the legal profession will be attending the Symposium.
The objective of the symposium is to provide a platform to students of various law schools and members of allied disciplines to have a qualified discussion on various themes revolving around contemporary international affairs.
Through this Symposium, we aspire to generate interest of the students in International Law and its intricate dynamics. This will also act as a platform for the students to interact with other students of varied disciplines, legal luminaries and the diaspora dedicated to International Law.
About The Journal
The Indian Journal of Law & International Affairs is a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary, biannual international journal dedicated to publishing original research, reports, and reviews.
The Journal lauds the support of an Advisory Board that includes policy analysts, senior bureaucrats, distinguished academicians from Yale Law School, Harvard Law School, London School of Economics and Political Science, MGIMO, Sciences Po and also former Secretary General of International Court of Arbitration.
The Editorial Collective and the Advisory Board publish the content after multiple rounds of double-blind review.
The complete list of the Advisory Board members can be found at the end.
Who Can Participate
Students, academicians, bureaucrats, professionals, diplomats, researchers etc. from various fields of law and/or international affairs, allied subjects and multi-disciplinary fields are invited to contribute to the Symposium.
15 best papers will be shortlisted for publication in a special issue of the Indian Journal of Law & International Affairs.
The themes and sub-themes listed below are only indicative to give the prospective authors an idea about the ambit of discussion and may be used to take inspiration should the authors want to write about issues along the same threads.
- International Humanitarian Law
- International law as a tool to curb Accidental Nuclear Detonations.
- Privatisation of War.
- Atrocities on Women and Children in Conflict-Ridden Areas.
- Right to Self-Determination of a State and Modern International Law.
- Intersection of Refugee Law with International Humanitarian Law.
- Asylum and rights of Refugees fleeing persecution.
- International Corporations and Political Influence.
- Role of CSR in Private International Law.
- International Environmental Conventions and their effect on Corporations.
- Role of OPEC in regulating the global oil markets.
- Oil spills and its interplay with International Law- with a stress upon the Law of Seas Convention regarding Offshore Drilling.
- Diplomacy and Extradition.
- Diplomatic Immunity and its limitations under International Law.
- Laws regarding extradition for grave crimes.
- The effect of Peacekeeping Operations in controlling mass internal and external violence in war hit countries.
- Diplomacy and Energy Security.
- Diplomacy and Terrorism.
- Transboundary Crisis Management
- International Armed Conflicts, War, and Terrorism
- Sexual violence perpetrated during armed conflicts.
- Role of Private Military and Security Companies in Armed Conflicts.
- Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) and use of force.
- The impact of Armed Conflicts on general International Law.
- Contribution of LOAC to the humanisation of International Law.
- Law of Armed Conflict and its influence on the rules on State Responsibility in International Law.
- Growth of rights and obligations of individuals and the Non-State armed groups under LOAC.
- International commercial arbitration
- International Arbitration and Choice-of-Law Issues
- Transnational Dispute Management.
- Challenge, recognition and enforcement of awards.
- UNCITRAL Model on International Commercial Arbitration.
- International domain name disputes under Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP).
- The role of Public Policy in International Arbitration.
The abstract should be accompanied by a cover page comprising a brief profile of the author including the current academic position, e-mail ID, contact number and official address.
- The word limit for abstracts is 200 – 250 words.
- The submissions should be original and unpublished.
- Co-authorship is allowed up to five persons.
- Full name(s) of the author(s), along with their designations must be given.
- The Harvard Bluebook (19th edition) citation style should strictly be followed in the submissions, non-compliance to which will lead to it being summarily rejected.
- The word limit for research papers is 3000-5000 words (maximum, excluding footnotes).
- The body of the paper should be in Times New Roman, with font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing. Footnotes should be in Times New Roman, size 10 with single line spacing.
- A margin of four centimeters should be left on all sides.
- Page borders should not be used.
- The paper should be submitted in MS Word Format.
Abstracts & research papers may be submitted to the Convener of the symposium at [email protected].
Auditorium, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi – 110025.
- Last date for Abstract Submission: March 25, 2017
- Notification of selected abstracts: March 30, 2017
- Last date for Submission of papers: April 14, 2017
- Seminar : April 16, 2017
The Registration fee for the seminar is as follows:
₹1500 for bonafide students;
₹2000 for researchers/professionals.
Authors from SAARC countries:
$30 for bonafide students;
$40 for researchers/professionals.
Authors from non-SAARC countries:
$40 for bonafide students;
$50 for researchers/professionals.
Vaibhav Pratap Singh (Convener), Managing Editor, International Journal of Law & International Affairs: +91-9953762276
Mohammad Saad Khan, Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Law & International Affairs: +91-9540378500
For the list of the Editorial Advisory Council, CLICK HERE.
To visit the Facebook Page of IJLIA, CLICK HERE.