Azim Premji University was established by the Azim Premji Foundation in 2010 with the social purpose of making significant contributions through education towards the building of a just, equitable, humane and sustainable society.
To this end, the University offers academic programmes that are responsive both to the lives and concerns of students and to the vision of justice and equity.
The University initiated a specialization in Public Policy and Law and Governance as part of its flagship MA Development programme in 2014.
In 2015 we will offer a Master’s programme in Public Policy and Governance and plan to offer an integrated Master’s (LLM) programme in Law and Development in 2016.
This summer the University is partnering with a host of international institutions (listed below), to organize an International Summer School on “Pluralism, Development and Social Change”.
This is a call for applications from interested candidates from India to take part in this Summer School, which is a unique full time residential programme open to students and practitioners from various walks of life and drawn from all the participant countries, namely, Indonesia, the Netherlands, South Africa and India.
The faculty are drawn from different universities/ institutions from these participant countries.
The approach of the school is interdisciplinary and the pedagogic goal is to bridge the worlds of academic and practitioner knowledge with a motive to rethink some of the contemporary challenges in development and change.
It involves classroom lectures, group exercises and writing, and on site exposure visits. Selected participants are required to prepare a pre-summer school assignment and submit this paper at the end of the school.
The course will be completed with a group presentation and designing of a workshop which participants are expected to conduct in their respective home countries.
(For more details on the school please visit this link.)
At the heart of the summer school’s conceptualisation lies the recognition that in the current context of rapidly changing foundations of knowledge, bringing academic and experiential forms of knowledge together is an important pedagogic strategy to spur reflection and generate informed cross-currents of thought that inspires social action for democracy.
In other words, the summer school is premised on the belief that a structured and intense collective reflection of graduate students and social activists on issues that are at the core of concepts of democracy and development, through the lenses of diversity/pluralism as a methodological and conceptual tool is likely to generate new and creative energies to think about contemporary problems in a comparative and shared way and find effective, deflective and sustainable solutions.
1. PUSAD-Paramadina (Center for the Study of Religion and Democracy, Jakarta, Indonesia http://www.paramadina-pusad.or.id/en/
2. Center for Religious and Cross-Cultural Studies of Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia http://crcs.ugm.ac.id/.
3. University for Humanistic Studies, Utrecht, the Netherlands
4. Hivos, the Hague, the Netherlands
5. The Institute for Reconciliation and Social Justice, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
6. Azim Premji University, School of Policy and Governance, Bangalore, India
Who can apply?
You are eligible to apply for the summer school if you are:
1. Indian national with a valid Passport issued by GOI
2. Completed or currently studying in the final year of a B.A.(LLB) or LLB programme from a recognised university in India.
What is covered?
Azim Premji University will bear all costs of travel and accommodation for two students.
1. Return economy air ticket to and fro from India to Indonesia
2. Visa and Travel Insurance costs
3. Stay and hospitality at the summer school venue
4. All the costs pertaining to the exposure visits
1. All eligible applicants may download the application form from the web site (See HERE).
2. The duly filled in application along with:
(a) a statement of purpose of not more than 1500 words outlining her/his motivations behind seeking a place in the course and stating as to why s/he should be considered for a place in the program, and
(b) the latest curriculum vitae of not more than 3 pages be submitted through email to sitharamam [.] kakarala [@] apu [.] edu [.] in on or before 30 June 2015.
The final selection is expected to be completed by 03 July 2015.
3. For all enquiries and clarifications contact shishir [.] bail [at] apu [.] edu [.] in