Tata Communications is seeking to hire an experienced legal professional for the job role of Assistant Manager-Legal, for its office in Mumbai.
About Tata Communications
Tata Communications Limited is an Indian telecommunications company previously known as Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited. It was previously under the ownership of the Department of Telecommunications, under the Ministry of Communications of the Government of India. It was sold by the Government of India to the Tata Group.
About the Job Opportunity
Tata Communications is seeking to hire for the job role of Assistant Manager-Legal, for its office in Mumbai.
This job requires attending to legal disputes, developing and maintaining a current regional litigation database. The incumbent will have to work with outside counsel in processing all assigned court proceedings (including arbitrations, mediations and tribunals). The work shall also include drafting and formatting commercial agreements and/or legal documents.
The focus is on implementation and control as well as support for policy development. The operational role, responsible for delivering results that have a direct impact on the achievement of results within the job area and may also impact a wider operational area within Legal, Litigation and Compliance sub-functions.
This group of positions is responsible for the delivery and administration of legal services to ensure the issues of risk and governance within the business are aligned to corporate goals.
The function ensures adherence to regulatory requirements by constant updating of internal systems in line with evolving regulatory requirements.
- Role: Legal
- Designation: Assistant Manager-Legal
- Location: Mumbai
- Job Segment: Assistant Manager, Telecom, Telecommunications, Law, Manager, Management, Technology, Legal
- Assess and manage legal risks faced by various TCL entities, including legal risk assessment for new product launches, extending operations in new geographies, cross-border telecom deals etc.
- Provide legal assistance to the Board of TCL and TCIPL for information requests.
- Provide advice and legal expertise to BUs for resolution of disputes around litigations and arbitrations, police cases, statutory filings, licensing requirements, audit findings, business investment roadblocks, land disputes, accounting and taxation, etc.
- Supervise outside counsel in processing all court proceedings (including arbitrations, mediations and tribunals) around the world.
- File new patent applications as appropriate and manage the existing patent portfolios. Oversee all trademark activity.
- Support Tata Sons’ trademark applications and trademark litigations. Conduct legal research and analysis on selected topics, prepare memoranda, position papers upon request.
- Resolve complex and general commercial transactions.
- Act as a main liaison point for banking and financing transactions.
- Monitor filing and closure of claim settlements.
- Prepare quarterly litigation report for presentation to Board.
- Draft contracts and negotiate. Build and supervise a “legal help desk” of experienced attorneys to handle global transactions of day-to-day commercial matters relating to the sale of voice, data and mobility services as well as procurement matters.
Education and Experience Required
- Education: A JD, LLB or LLM (or foreign equivalent) with admission to the bar in at least one relevant jurisdiction with good standing
- Experience: 5-8 years post-qualification experience, gained in both private practice and in-house
- Self-sufficient, capable of identifying key issues and priorities and focusing on these to deliver required results with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to identify problems and significantly improve, change or adapt existing methods and techniques.
- Might lead/mentor small teams