About the exam
The All India Bar Examination or AIBE is an exam conducted by the Bar Council of India with an objective to examine an advocate’s capability to practice the profession of law in India.
As per the guidelines of the Bar Council, all students graduating from the academic year 2009-10 onwards need to clear the All India Bar Examination in order to practice law in India. The exam was first conducted in the year 2011 and is now conducted twice every year.
Once you have enrolled with any state bar council in the country, you have to take and clear the AIBE within 2 years of time.
You are eligible to appear for the AIBE if :
- You have passed 3 years or 5 year LLB from a college recognized by the Bar Council of India.
- You are provisionally enrolled as an Advocate with any State Bar Council.
There are no minimum marks required in the qualifying exam.
There is no prescribed age limit to appear for AIBE.
There is no limit on attempts at AIBE.
Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- The AIBE is an open book offline exam. (OMR based)
- The exam takes place in 11 languages and candidates can choose to take it in the language of their choice.
- The paper consists of 100 objective type questions ranging from 19 subjects.
- There is no negative marking.
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours 30 minutes.
The subjects and the number of questions that will follow are as follows:
- Constitutional law – 10
- Indian Penal Code – 8
- Criminal Procedure Code -10
- Code of Civil procedure – 10
- Evidence Act – 8
- Alternative Dispute Redressal (Including Arbitration Act) – 4
- Family Law – 8
- Public Interest Litigation – 4
- Administrative Law – 3
- Professional Ethics and cases of misconduct under BCI rules – 4
- Company Law – 2
- Environmental Law – 2
- Cyber Law – 2
- Labour and Industrial Laws – 4
- Law of Tort, including Motor Vehicle Act and Consumer Protection Law – 5
- Law related to Taxation – 4
- Law of Contract, Specific Relief, Property Laws, Negotiable Instrument Act – 8
- Land Acquisition Act – 2
- Intellectual property Laws – 2
Click here for the official list of subjects and their respective number of questions.
- Advocate ID card
- Enrollment Certificate
- Scanned photo and signature
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- disability certificate (if applicable)
The registration and submission of the application form are done online. Candidates can apply online at the official site of All India Bar Examination.
Candidates will have to fill registration details like name, dob etc and then upload the required documents (listed above).
The payment of examination fee is to be done via SBI bank challan.
- Exam Fee (General) – Rs. 3560
- Exam Fee (SC/ST) – Rs. 2560
There is no refund of fees under any circumstances.
AIBE XIV 2019: important dates
- Online Registration begins: 10th June 2019
- Fee payment through challan begins: 11th July 2019
- Online Registration last date: 12th August 2019
- Last Date for payment: 14th August 2019
- Last date for completion of form: 17th August 2019
- Online issue of Admit Cards: 21st August 2019
- Date of Examination: 25th August 2019
Click here for the official important dates notification.
Click here to register for AIBE XIV 2019.
Click here to visit the official page of All India Bar Examination.