About the organisation:
The World Trade Institute (WTI) is a centre of excellence of the University of Bern and the Faculty of Law. It is one of the world’s leading academic institutions dedicated to the regulation of international trade.
The WTI transcends boundaries. It fuses law, economics and international relations in interdisciplinary research, training, advisory work and technical assistance in Switzerland and abroad.
The Centre for WTO Studies (Centre) was set up in 1999 by the Department of Commerce, Government of India, to serve as a permanent repository of WTO negotiations-related knowledge and documentation.
The Centre has since evolved as an independent think-tank and knowledge centre with focus on trade in general, and the WTO in particular.
The Centre has been a part of the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade since November 2002.
About the workshop:
The World Trade Institute of the University of Bern, Switzerland and the Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, India are pleased to announce the launch of the 6th WTI – CWS Joint Academy on International Trade Law and Policy (“Joint Academy”), from June 3– June 28, 2019 at New Delhi.
The Joint Academy aims to provide law students and legal professionals in India a rare opportunity to deepen their knowledge on aspects of International Trade Law and Policy.
Taught by distinguished academics and practitioners
from India and abroad, the Joint Academy will equip participants with theoretical and practical insights into various issues relating to international trade law.
About the Joint Academy:
Dates: June 3 – June 28, 2019 (Four Weeks).
Location: New Delhi.
1. Week 1: Introduction to the WTO and Basic Provisions of WTO; Agreement on Agriculture.
2. Week 2: Investment Law; SPS and TBT.
3. Week 3: Trade and IPR; Trade in Services.
4. Week 4: The Law & Policy of Trade Remedies; and Miscellaneous WTO Issues.
Who can apply:
- All law students enrolled in any legal course in India, either at the undergraduate or postgraduate level. Preference will be given to students who have prior exposure to issues relating to International Trade Law.
- The Joint Academy is also open to Indian legal professionals. In addition, legal professionals can attend specific modules, in a flexible, “à la carte” manner. This option is not available for students.
- The maximum number of participants that will be selected for the Joint Academy is 30 (thirty). Past participants are kindly requested not to re-apply.
- Selection of candidates is at the final discretion of the Centre.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are required to complete the Application Form for the Joint Academy, and send the same, along with their updated CV to jointacademy[at]iift.edu.
The application form in MS Word can be downloaded from here.
Paper applications will not be accepted.
- For Law Students: INR 10,000/- (For the whole duration of the Joint Academy).
- For Legal Professionals: INR 25,000/- (For the whole duration of the Joint Academy).
- INR 7,000/- per weekly module (For applicants applying for specific modules).
Please note that the above fees do not cover other costs such as meals, housing or local transportation of the participants. Lunch and tea on days of classes will be provided at the venue by the CWS.
With the objective of attracting the best participation from law schools, the CWS provides a refund of course fees for law students who meet the minimum attendance criteria and who meet the minimum pass percentage of 60% of all components of the Final Evaluation.
- Last date for submission of applications: Sunday, March 31, 2019.
- Communication of selection: Friday, April 12, 2019.
- The Last date for paying fees: Friday, April 26, 2019.
- Last date for withdrawing application: Friday, May 3, 2019.
- Commencement of Course: Monday, June 3, 2019.
- Conclusion of Course: Friday, June 28, 2019.
Attendance and final evaluation:
Classes will be held typically 5 days a week; from 09:30 a.m. to 05:30 p.m. Participants are required to attend ALL classes.
The minimum attendance requirement is 80% per week. For the purposes of evaluation, an examination will be conducted. Details about the mode of the examination shall be communicated to the selected participants.
A candidate who has been accepted for the Joint Academy and has made payment in furtherance thereof may withdraw subsequently.
However, such withdrawals can be made not later than May 3, 2019, and subject to a deduction of 50% of the fees paid. No cancellations will be entertained after May 3, 2019. There will also be no refund after this date.
Contact info: In case of any queries, email at jointacademy[at]iift.edu.
For updates about the Joint Academy, click here.
Facebook link is here.
For the application form, click here.
First published on March 9, 2019.