Name, College, Year of study
Roumita Dey, Jogesh Chandra Choudhuri College of Law (affiliated to Calcutta University), Kolkata(India), Fifth Year(9th Semester).
Name of the organisation. City. Office Address. How was the office? Team strength
Vidhii Partners, Kolkata(India).
Ambassador Apartments, Flat No. 13, Block B, First Floor, 61A, Park Street, Kolkata – 700 016
The Kolkata office is a very small office.
The office consists of 3 Lawyers and one Partner. There is no conference room or Library. But there were shelves stuffed with pretty good books in the office.
Duration in weeks. Days of work per week. Timings
3rd March to 22nd March. (3 weeks)
5 days a week, 10.00 am to 6.30 pm. Alternative Saturdays are working day.
Interns could leave at 6:30 if your work is over.
On very rare occasions I stayed back a little longer but it never exceeded an hour. So, timings are fairly followed. We work 5 days a week leaving your weekends free to explore Kolkata or to catch up on sleep.
Application Procedure? Internship Contact Details
I applied through emails. You have to follow up a lot with the HR cum Associate of the firm accompanied by phone calls. If she like your CV you will get a call from her or you will get a confirmation mail from her.
The name of the Associate is Ms. Isha Sinha. One can mail his/her CV at [email protected]
She’s been very helpful and warm helping out lady.
Accommodation was not an issue as I live in Kolkata.
However, for outsiders, there are plenty of Paying Guests, Hostels and Apartments available in Park Street or Exide Crossing or Chowringhee and in other main areas.
First impression, First day, formalities etc
Ms. Isha Sinha is the HR cum Associate of the Kolkata office who selects students for internship.
She allotted me some research related work to do for the bi-annual Newsletter which is published by the firm twice a year.
My first day spent by interacting with other two Associates and the Partner who is a nice lady to interact all the time.
I got research work on diverse areas of Company law, SARFAESI ACT, Letters Patent Appeal, Drafting an Order Sheet, Summarisation of cases, Contract Law etc.
During my Vidhii Partners internship, I mainly researched on the following topics which are described below:
Researched and prepared notes on
1. Supreme court cases pertaining to Section 13 and Section 17 of SARFAESI ACT, 2002 and Rule 9(4) of Security Interest (Enforcement) Rules, 2002 and took active participation in handling a live case of Debts Recovery Tribunal (DRT).
2. Researched on Indian Contract Act, 1872 pertaining to the difference between Indemnity and Guarantee.
3. Drafted an Affidavit of Service of Ordersheet for a Senior Lawyer.
4. Letters Patent Appeal and its importance and procedure.
5. Nidhii Companies as included in the Companies Act, 2013 and the procedure of incorporating a Nidhii Company.
6. Summarization of few Supreme Court cases pertaining to Permanent Injunction for the Newsletter of the Firm.
7. Researched on the establishment of Agro-based Industries in West Bengal.
8. As I worked on SARFAESI Laws mostly through out my Internship, I have given a presentation to the firm based on the ”Enforcement of Security Interest” under the same Act.
Work environment, people
The work environment is truly good and excellent ambience to work in slience in the Firm.
People at Vidhii(Kolkata) were very warm and cordial. They have a very good work culture out there. The lawyers never hesitated in making me understand legal issues/problems when it was difficult for me to comprehend it.
There wasn’t a single day at my Vidhii Partners(Kolkata) internship when I had no work to do.
Besides this, the food around the place was quite decent. There were Mcdonalds, Pizza hut, CCD beside the office. So, anyone can go out for lunch and enjoy or taste different foods.
They don’t make you stay for long if you have no work. They serve free tea/lemon tea/coffee twice a day.
The only bad thing is the Firm is too small to accommodate interns at a time. They only take one intern at a time.
So it is highly competitive and hard to get internship here according to one’s preference.
What did you do to chill? Co-interns, colleagues
I was the only intern that time. So, most of the days I go out and have lunch at Pizza Hut or order some food to the office boy in the office.
Rs. 1000/- for 3 weeks.
The entry was a part of the Summer Internship Experience Writing Competition organized by LexisNexis and Lawctopus. MyLaw.net was the learning partner for the competition.Read More