Daksh, a Not-for-Profit Organisation is organising a Legislation Drafting Challenge inviting teams from various colleges to participate and draft a legislation.
The last date for Submission of the Legislation is January 10, 2014.
About the Competition
This challenge seeks to encourage students to engage efficiently with obstacles to good governance and to cultivate a more articipative approach to political processes.
By laying emphasis on the aspect of problem-solving, students will develop an analytical and critical bent of mind that is crucial to participation in a democracy.
- Transparency in Governance
- Electoral Reforms
[Participants may choose specific subject areas under these themes.]
- Teams of 5 from each college / university. There is no cap on number of teams per institution.
- Proposed draft bills must include the following:
1. the need for the legislation;
2, the financial costs of the proposed changes;
3. the details of the administrative machinery, if required;
4. why this legislation is the best solution to the need identified.
- The last date for submission is January 10, 2014.
- Submissions must be e-mailed to [email protected].
- Submission Guidelines are available online HERE.
- This competition is open to all students at the undergraduate level and above.
- Participating teams may have a maximum number of five members.
- Teams interested in participating must register by e-mailing [email protected] with their names and place/s of study.
- Participants must submit an explanatory note that provides a background of the subject area in which the legislation / amendment is proposed to be introduced, along with the problems that the legislation seeks to cure.
- The explanatory note must emphasise the desirability, practicality and utility of the proposed legal reform. The explanatory note must be between 1000 and 3000 words in length.
- The text of the draft legislation / amendment shall be no longer than 30 pages, and must, as far as possible, adhere to the standard ordering of headings in Indian legislations.
- Participants may refer to pending bills or existing statutes for guidance on drafting, if required. [http://www.prsindia.org/ is a good resource.]
- All entries must be submitted to by January 10, 2014 to [email protected]
- Any incidence of plagiarism will lead to instant disqualification.
- In case of any queries, participants may contact Daksh by e-mail at [email protected]
- The top 3 submissions will win attractive cash prizes.
- 10 additional teams will be awarded Certificates of Merit.
You can view the Poster for the event HERE.