Name of Organisation, Location, Team Strength
Human Rights Law Network, Delhi, 50
To apply in this NGO I visited its website i.e. HRLN Delhi official website from there I downloaded the internship form filled it and sent it to Ms. Zoya Qureshi (Internship coordinator) and this is how I got internship in HRLN, Delhi.
Duration of internship and timings
The duration of the internship was of 3 weeks i.e. from 9th June 2014 – 28th June 2014 and the timings were 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday while the timings of Saturday were 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Sunday was off.
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
First impression was really nice when I entered I met the Internship coordinator she assigned me a supervisor and then my supervisor gave me some case files to study.
On the same day I was asked to submit an amount of Rs. 1000 as the registration fees.
The infrastructure was very nice the whole office was air conditioned therefore we felt very comfortable while working.
1. Drafted petitions to be filed in the Delhi High court.
2. Filed an RTI raising concerns to the Ministry of law and justice regarding number of rapes reported in Delhi and the conviction rate and the acquittal rate for the same.
3. Prepared a picture description for the Kosi displacement case.
4. Translated and transcribed annexure for a petition to be filed in the Supreme Court.
5. Researched extensively on various issues like the situation of Uttarakhand floods and the government`s initiative on the same and reconstruction post the disaster.
6. Researched on Supreme Court`s take on Human Rights and recent judgments regarding the same.
7. Participated in various protests and public meetings at Jantar Mantar.
Work environment and people
The work environment was fantastic, everyone was very cooperative whenever I had any problem everyone there was ready to help me.
The people there were very polite hardworking and caring in nature.
As it was my first internship that too under such a great NGO which works on the matters related to law so there I got a chance to learn that how cases are filed in the court how we prepare synopsis of a case, how to file an RTI etc.
Only one thing which I didn’t like is that we intern were not introduced to Mr. Colin Gonsalvez who is the founder of HRLN and is one of the top most lawyers of India.
There I learnt that in our law profession we should always be professional there is no need to disclose anything personal to a person in this profession unless and until you know him or her very well.
I also learnt that to be a good lawyer you should be social as well as you should be a good researcher.
Any Other Thing
In this internship I came to know that in our country and in this whole world human rights are violated to a very much extent and nothing substantial is being done to stop this therefore this created a enthusiasm in me to make my career in the field of human rights and work for the people who are being deprived of their basic rights.Read More