Azim Premji University was established by the Azim Premji Foundation in 2010 with the social purpose of making significant contributions through education towards the building of a just, equitable, humane and sustainable society.
This summer the University is partnering with a host of international institutions, to organize an International Summer School on “Pluralism, Development and Social Change”.
This is a call for applications from interested candidates from India to take part in this Summer School, which is a unique full time residential programme open to students and practitioners from various walks of life and drawn from all the participant countries, namely, Indonesia, the Netherlands, South Africa and India.
The faculty are drawn from different universities/ institutions from these participant countries. The approach of the school is interdisciplinary and the pedagogic goal is to bridge the worlds of academic and practitioner knowledge with a motive to rethink some of the contemporary challenges in development and change.
It involves classroom lectures, group exercises and writing, and on site exposure visits. Selected participants are required to prepare a pre-summer school assignment and submit this paper at the end of the school.
The course will be completed with a group presentation and designing of a workshop which participants are expected to conduct in their respective home countries. (For further details, click HERE)
At the heart of the summer school’s conceptualisation lies the recognition that in the current context of rapidly changing foundations of knowledge, bringing academic and experiential forms of knowledge together is an important pedagogic strategy to spur reflection and generate informed cross-currents of thought that inspires social action for democracy.
In other words, the summer school is premised on the belief that a structured and intense collective reflection of graduate students and social activists on issues that are at the core of concepts of democracy and development, through the lenses of diversity/pluralism as a methodological and conceptual tool is likely to generate new and creative energies to think about contemporary problems in a comparative and shared way and find effective, deflective and sustainable solutions.
1. PUSAD-Paramadina (Center for the Study of Religion and Democracy, Jakarta, Indonesia [Click HERE]
2. Center for Religious and Cross-Cultural Studies of Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia [Click HERE]
3. University for Humanistic Studies, Utrecht, the Netherlands
4. Hivos, the Hague, the Netherlands
5. The Institute for Reconciliation and Social Justice, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
6. Azim Premji University, School of Policy and Governance, Bangalore, India.
Who can apply?
You are eligible to apply for the summer school if you are:
1. An Indian national
2. We welcome applications from recent graduates and upper year undergraduate students in any recognised Law degree programme.
What is covered?
Chosen candidates will receive:
1. Domestic economy airfare
2. Accommodation and food for the duration of the workshop
3. All the costs pertaining to the exposure visits.
1. All eligible applicants may download the application form from the website.
2. The duly filled in application along with
(a) a statement of purpose of not more than 1500 words outlining her/his motivations behind seeking a place in the course and stating as to why s/he should be considered for a place in the program;
(b) the latest curriculum vitae of not more than 3 pages be submitted through email to [email protected]
31st May, 2016.
The final selection is expected to be completed by 10th June, 2016.
For further information or clarifications please contact Ms. Ashna Ashesh: [email protected]Read More