About the Organization
The Network for International Law Students (NILS) is an international, independent, nonpolitical, non-profit organization, run by and for law students.
It seeks to promote legal awareness among all the people and encourage communication and cooperation among law students and lawyers internationally; contribute to legal education; promote social responsibility in the field of law; increase opportunities for students to learn about other cultures and legal systems worldwide; and publicize educational and career opportunities in law.
Working in the NILS network prepares active members for their professional life through international experience gained through the network.
NILS India is one of the many chapters of the international community that belongs to NILS.
It is an independent, non-political, non-profit organization with an aim to promote, establish and develop mutual understanding, and a cordial relationship between law students and lawyers across the country, thereby equipping them for professional life in an international, dynamic and competitive legal environment.
It shall also serve to be an international networking platform for law students.
Besides helping Indian law students get international exposure, it also helps international law students get acquainted with the legal scenario in India.
About the Competition
NILS India invites law students to submit thought-provoking essays on any Contemporary Issue in Human Rights Law for the first edition of the NILS India Essay Competition.
Subtopics for submission may include but are not limited to:
1. Human rights law and refugees.
2. Prisoners’ rights.
3. The rights of environmentally displaced persons.
4. Rights of sex workers in India.
5. Access to justice.
6. The United Nations and human rights.
7. Child rights and corporal punishment.
8. India, the LGBTQ community, and human rights.
1. The number of words in the essay must not exceed 4500 words (including footnotes).
2. The language of the essay shall be English.
3. Co-authorship of up to 2 authors is permitted.
4. All entries shall be in MS Word format.
5. The main body and footnotes shall be in Times New Roman. For the main body, the font size shall be 12 with 1.5 line spacing. Footnotes must be size 10 with single line spacing. A margin of 1 inch must be left on all four sides.
6. The essay must be unpublished and original without any plagiarism
7. The cover page of the submission shall contain the following details only – title and abstract.
8. The cover page and/or main body of the essay should not carry any mention of the name, contact details, or the name of the educational institution of the author.
9. The footnotes shall conform to Bluebook 19th Edition rules of citation.
10. The author’s information shall be mentioned in the body of the email to which the submission is attached.
1st Prize: Rs. 7,000/-
2nd Prize: Rs. 5,000/-
3rd Prize: 3,000/-
*Certificate of Merit shall be given to the authors of the top three essays.
Other participants shall be given a Certificate of Participation (Electronic).
Essays must be submitted to [email protected] on or before 20th December, 2015.
1. Copyright to all essays sent as entries for this competition shall rest with NILS India. Authors shall be given credit in the by-line;
2. In case of disputes, the decision of the Organizing Committee shall be final and binding.
Email: [email protected]
Gauri Anand: +91 85929 89185Read More